User Stats

Votes
Vidal Gonzales
Votes |
Becoming an Agent

Vidal Gonzales
Posted May 21 2024, 06:22

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of getting working towards getting my real estate license here in California. I wanted to get your opinion on if it getting the license is worth it . I know there are pros and cons. If I get my real estate license would the best option to work for a broker? However, I would like to build connections and eventually start here in California. But being how expensive it is here do you guys think it’s achievable to get into real estate? 

Appreciate your thoughts on this subject

User Stats

Votes
Randy Rodenhouse
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied May 21 2024, 06:47

It really depends on what you want to do.  If you are looking to be an investor or you don't necessarily need a real estate license. I have purchased and sold many properties and do not have a license. However, my focus is on long-term rentals, creative real estate (like buying sub2 and with owner finance) and buying mortgage notes.  For me, the license would just focus your attention on listing and showing properties and not building my RE portfolio.  

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied May 21 2024, 06:52

You will need to be under another broker for 2 years full time before you would be eligible to get your own brokers license. Most agents only have a salespersons license and must be under the supervision of a broker. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Paul Alvarez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Torrance, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Torrance, CA
Replied May 21 2024, 15:11

Hi Vidal, both advice is correct, it depends on what you want to do. My opinion reviews your financial situation first because jumping into real estate or real estate investment you will need at least six months of reserves financially self-sufficient to support yourself. If you do not have any savings to support yourself, it will be difficult and stressful. If you are currently employed, do not quit that job until you are 100% financially and can support yourself. Finding the right brokerage is the other challenge you will have because the industry has changed. Before getting your salesperson license, I would interview a brokerage first who offers real estate school for principal and licensing with reimbursement? Do not fall on a brokerage that offers or aids you in getting your real estate license or will reimburse you for your RE license because those are just to bait for new agent or to get people to sign up. You still must pay for your own principal certificate, books, crash course, state exam, state application fee, fingerprint fee, and any other fee needed. They will only reimburse you after you close your first escrow/transaction. A good real estate brokerage firm will not entertain or interview you if you do not have an active real estate license because those brokerages are top producing brokerage meaning those companies are buying leads with premium leads like Zillow and other sources. I have been mortgage underwriter since 2012 and I was re-entering the real estate era on Feb 2024, which I interview with four RE brokerage and one which I work for a brokerage that lasted for three weeks. Now I am with C21 Prime Time which I have been for thirteen days have defined my old sales skills with consistently sharpening my cold calling phone skills through attending their script and role play every Tuesday and Wednesday morning training. Monday morning mentorship program and weekend open house hosting. I hope this helps and if you have any questions either email or text me. Good luck with your new endeavor.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied May 21 2024, 20:45

Why do you want to get your license?  If it is because you want to sell real estate, it's vital.

If you want to be an investor, then my suggestion is take the classes, but don't take the test.  You gain the knowledge, but not the responsibilities and the expenses.