Moving out of state and becoming a real estate agent?

Moving out of state and becoming a real estate agent?

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

How well would it go if I were to move out, attend an out-of-state cc class, get my license, and start working in that state?

I know being an agent is hard, but I'm young and looking at moving out and just weighing out my options. 

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 277 posts · 138 votes
4y

@David Panov If you're committed to making it work, it can definitely work! I'm born and raised in North Jersey and have been an agent here for a few years now. Just a few weeks ago I decided to get licensed out of state in FL so that I can work and invest in Tampa--I was able to complete the entire process online including the prelicensing education in less than a week. You can also sit for the exam, do the fingerprinting, and all other steps of the process online without ever needing to step foot in FL until you're done. The amount of things you can get done online without having to go there will vary by state to state, but point being--in 2022, anything is possible.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 102 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    That's exactly what I did 2 years ago. Wanted to make a change, quit my 9-5, took my classes online over a 2 month period back home in NJ, then moved to Colorado on the 3rd of the month and passed my license exam on the 5th. I'd say if you're flexible on location, the best thing you can choose is a spot that is very busy with people moving to a specific area from around the country. Colorado is amazing because finding a native is almost as rare as finding a unicorn. Meaning everyone being transplants, almost nobody knows a realtor when they arrive. It's so easy to make friends since everyone is in the same boat as you. 

    There are many locations around the country that everyone has their home town realtor. Nobody moves, they use the same local experts for the past 30-50 years. It's tough to break into a market like that unless you start working with a solid, established realtor in the area. So it depends on your personality and the goals you are attempting to achieve, also depends on the market you're looking to jump into. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Go for it! Real Estate is about building a network of people, getting to know them, etc. If you're in a new place, get involved with things that interest you. Get up to speed on the local real estate market. Go to open houses. Find out if there's any BP meetups there. You might want to get in with an office that has opportunities for training, etc. Another way to learn the business is by working for an agent that needs an assistant, a title company, developer or ?  It let's you learn the process of real estate listings and sales, escrow, title, appraisals, etc. and helps build a foundation under you. Good luck! 

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2020 · 277 posts · 138 votes
    4y

    @David Panov If you're committed to making it work, it can definitely work! I'm born and raised in North Jersey and have been an agent here for a few years now. Just a few weeks ago I decided to get licensed out of state in FL so that I can work and invest in Tampa--I was able to complete the entire process online including the prelicensing education in less than a week. You can also sit for the exam, do the fingerprinting, and all other steps of the process online without ever needing to step foot in FL until you're done. The amount of things you can get done online without having to go there will vary by state to state, but point being--in 2022, anything is possible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.