(Hopeful) First time rental property owner deal analysis

(Hopeful) First time rental property owner deal analysis

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes

My wife and I live in Livonia, Michigan and are making to push to get out of analysis paralysis and into taking direct action in securing our first investment property.  We have been in the education phase for quite some time now and it feels good to get our feet wet and start looking at properties and making offers.  The most recent house that we are looking at is a duplex (unit #1 2Bed/1 Bath, unit #2 1 Bed/ 1 Bath) that has both units currently occupied and renting for a total of $2,000/month.  With the purchase price of $220,000 it is just shy of the 1% rule, however comps in the area show that the rent is marginally under priced and likely could secure closer to $2,200 to $2,300/month with both units being occupied.  My primary questions when analyzing deals stem from what percentage you should be allocating for capital expenditures, repair and maintenance, and vacancies.  In the literature that I have read and the videos I have come across on here and elsewhere, it seems that 8% for each of those (24% total between the three categories) is a safe and conservative approach.  Is this something that others, whom have more experience than us, agree with?  Or are we off on our calculations.  Using 8% for each of these makes our deal cash flow less than $25/month, but when we lower our percentages it obviously makes the deal look much more enticing.  The house is in an area where appreciation has been very good over the years as well.  Any thoughts on the deal itself or how much to allocate additional expenses would be greatly appreciated.

1Reply
21 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Skagit Valley, WA · Member since 2021 · 256 posts · 283 votes
    4y

    Is your cash flow calculation based on proforma rent? (the $2,300 / month figure). 

    As far as the other three calculations you mention - it's a bit hard for us to know the condition of the building... and the vacancy rates in that community... but 24% for a total is certainly not unrealistic. In my initial calculations I'll often use 10% vacancy and 5% for each of capex and maintenance (total 10%) until I get more details.

  • Investor · Muskegon, MI · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    I agree with Tim it is a tough without knowing the condition of the house.  Is cash flow your biggest priority?  I'd say you have a decent deal there but mostly from an appreciation/ equity perspective. If you're flexible on cash flow then don't plan to be able to get any cash from this investment for a couple years,  by then you'll have a run rate you can use to better understand what your real expenses are in those categories. 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Is the house in Livonia?

    farmington and orangelawn crossroads? Those duplexes there?

    i have 14 or so in Livonia and live here too

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Tim Johnson thanks for your response. The estimated cash flow is based off the current rent at $2000/month. It’s good to know that the 24% isn’t over shooting it too much. My plan is to stick with numbers similar to those until I get some more experience and can be a little more aggressive with deals. The house is in good shape but it is an older build. Going today to see it with a focus on assessing some larger ticket items, I.e. furnace, roof, etc. thanks again for your reply Tim.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Travis Barkel Since this would be my first property, I would like to cash flow on it. If I had a couple properties on hand already, then I would feel more comfortable about it being used as an appreciation property. I understand that’s not necessarily the best way to look at it, but anything I can do to minimize my risk. Appreciate your response!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    We're seeing Vacancy Rates tied to Class of property.

    Lowest vacany rates are Class A properties, rates rise on Class B & C properties.

    Realistically, capital expenditures aren't usually a factor for the first 3-5 years of ownership - as long as you have a great inspection, so there's little chance of an unpleasant surprise. By that time, your rents should be up and you can better absorb a captial expenditure.

    Maintenance costs depend on both the property condition and the tenant you place. Some tenants are pretty hard on a property and lazy about taking care of things - slamming doors, what they put down the kitchen sink, how they treat appliances, etc. Make sure your lease allows you to charge tenants for the first $x of every and any maintenance issue. You can then enforce this discretionarily depending on the circumstances.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @George P. The house is actually in Plymouth but I am at Farmington and Schoolcraft so not far from the orange lawn duplexes. Have your experiences with rentals in the area been good? Seems like the opportunities are good in Livonia and the surrounding cities from what I have seen thus far.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Drew Sygit that’s great information, appreciate it. Good to know about the capital expenditures. I also have never heard of charging the tenants for repairs but I like the idea, something I will definitely look into. I am going to re run the numbers with a lower cap ex rate in the first 3 years and see how it looks. Thanks again, Drew.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Drew Judge:

    @George P. The house is actually in Plymouth but I am at Farmington and Schoolcraft so not far from the orange lawn duplexes. Have your experiences with rentals in the area been good? Seems like the opportunities are good in Livonia and the surrounding cities from what I have seen thus far.

     Be careful with these old old duplexes there. They have terrible layout and super hard to update.

    but yes the rents are amazing

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.