Local REI clubs - house advice - tsp advice

Local REI clubs - house advice - tsp advice

Member since 2008 · 42 posts · 2 votes

I own a house in South Dakota but live in Oklahoma now.
I have a negative cash flow from this house of about $150 month.

Do you think I should hang on to this house for a while to see if I can turn a profit, or am I just trying to hang onto a lost cause? I happen to believe that if i spend that $150 on the house, then i'm at least not spending it on more "toys" and junk for myself.

Next question:
In OK City their is a Real Estate Investment club that charges 200 per year. THey have meetings once a month. I believe they have more lectures, etc but you have to pay for those as well, but at a discounted member rate. For a newbie to the Investment world, do you recommend I join this club? I hope to meet some good people though it.

Question 3.
Has anyone borrowed from the thrift savins plan for renovations or even as an alternative to using PMI?

Thanks for any advice.

0Reply
19 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    I'll tackle the $150 negative cashflow question . . . personally, I'd dump it. Why would you invest in a property that is going to lose money? Holding on to a loser is just dumb. If you were in an area with extremely high appreciation, it might be worth considering (not likely, though) holding on. What do you get for holding on?

    Your excuse that at least you aren't spending the $150 on toys is the strangest argument I've ever heard for justifying keeping a loser. If you don't want to waste $150 a month on toys, send it my way!

    I'd sell the property right away if I were you . . . how did you get stuck with this property?

    As for the investing club, they are great for meeting investors, learning, and finding opportunities. You can apply your $150/month towards your membership.

    It sounds to me like you really need more information before you go out and buy another property. I'd read up more about how to find a good investment before jumping into any more deals.

    Good luck and let us know how things go.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.