Best legal help CPA, Tax Attorney?

Best legal help CPA, Tax Attorney?

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I recently retired from a large municipality but continue to do contract work. I have a pension, a 401a (pre tax), a 457b (pre tax), a SEP, and cash savings. My wife has an IRA. Additionally, we are selling our primary residence and will be leasing in the area for another year or so before retiring permanently, so we will have that equity in cash. Our plan is to immediately purchase either single or multi-family rental property, for an income stream. Once I retire permanently, we will buy another permanent residence.

Our annual tax preparation, to this point, has been fairly easy.  Now that we are wanting to move pre tax money and start investing, things are getting extremely more complex.  With so many moving parts, the situation obviously requires the management of a seasoned professional, with RE experience.  I am in a semi-rural area, about 90 minutes north of Houston, with a few CPAs and tax attorneys but not really any with significant RE experience, that I can find anyway. 

Any advice?  

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian BoydPro Member
    USA · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 536 votes
    5y

    Do you need to have a CPA or Tax Attorney near you for what you are seeking to do? I suggest you find the CPA or Tax attorney of your choice and go with them. It really doesn't matter where they are located, in my opinion.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Is there a vendor list or network for such help on BP anywhere? 

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    5y

    Scott,

    I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.