Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Barnes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Limiting beliefs on where to begin

Jordan Barnes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jan 23 2021, 19:10

There are so many paths to chose in REI. After you have educated yourself, listened to so many podcasts, read a ton of books and talked to multiple great investors it can be overwhelming on what direction to go. Which is precisely what my business partner and I are finding right now, which field to dive into. I think you can break it down into three questions that will give you a general direction, namely, what is your goal in REI? What part of REI interests you the most? What is your exit strategy? I am struggling the most with the second question, because are there are SO MANY strategies within REI that I think I would love.

My partner and I are both high income earners and live comfortably but we work a lot to support that lifestyle. Like many here, our goal is to be financially free and build wealth passively while spending more time with our families. We both love the business of real estate and want to grow an empire, leaving something of significance to our families. But we also enjoy working, or rather working for ourselves to build wealth. 

We have the opportunity to buy cash flowing multifamily properties in a highly appreciating area, Washington State, but then struggle to commit to a 4 plex or smaller or if we should just dive into 7+ unit complexes. I have always looked at mobile home parks as the golden goose of REI and we have a great contact that builds them professionally, which makes us hesitate to invest any money in MFHs if we are going to pursue something as big as building a park. Then from a true business point of view we both love the idea of self/RV storage, this seems more likely to be our exit strategy in 10+ years down the road.

Not sure if this is a post for suggestions, or to start open discussions but I feel like I cannot be the first investor in this position to struggle to make a decision like this and am curious if any of them are here with any guidance or advice. Hope everyone is enjoying the start to the new year! 

Loading replies...