Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Folchi
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Seller Carry Financing Downsides

Alex Folchi
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Jose, CA
Posted

Looking to purchase my second investment property.  I am likely $10-20k short in the necessary down payment for a deal that recently came to me.  The deal checks all the boxes for me (area I like, area I know I can find renters, small multi family-3 units, near my first purchase, cashflows with all 3 units rented, breaks even if just two are, etc.)  While I am saving quite a bit on a monthly basis, I do not want to wait months until I save the rest because I am worried the deal will sell elsewhere.  Pre-approval is in hand, pending the down payment.

I am considering asking seller to consider Seller Carry Financing as the agent believes it may be an option.  I have obviously never done this before, and I wonder what the draw backs for me as the buyer are?  What should be part of my negotiations tactics with respect to rate, balloon payment timeframe and date, etc.?  Am I able to simply refinance in a few years when the balloon payment is due?  Obviously some risk in rates rising over that time, but that risk seems small to me.  What am I missing?

Buy-and-Hold investor. Credit 780+. Able to save decent amount each month just from W2 job.

Loading replies...