Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Garen S.
Votes |
1st deal done: now what?

Garen S.
Posted Dec 26 2020, 11:34

I bought a vacation rental property 3 years ago for a great price. I rented it using an agency and their fees combined with the high HOA fees made it a negative cash flow in that setup. I really didn't know what I was doing and should have managed the property myself.

Anyways lucky for me the property appreciated and I recently sold the property for a 200k profit. That plus the 150k equity gives me 350k to reinvest.

I currently distributed the 200k for a 1031 exchange.

I am looking at SFH in my area which range from 250k-400k.

Trying to figure out best strategy for investment. For background I have a good job and I have a 4 day work week. I have a traditional balanced portfolio with no real estate holdings except for about 65k in an REIT.

My job is on auto pilot and I’m looking for a challenge and am excited about expanding my real estate investing.

My thoughts on proceeding are: purchasing a SFH with 25% down and managing myself then invest rest in syndicate or passive real estate deal. Purchasing multiple homes. Paying cash for single home and then managing. Thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Pride Davis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Monterey, Ca.
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Monterey, Ca.
Replied Dec 26 2020, 11:53

What was the deal? Did you post in the Deal Diary?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Dec 26 2020, 13:35

Your next move should NOT be a property.  Your next move should be a plan that lays out each decision you will make from property to property.  You should never ask the question, "what do I do next", ever again.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements