Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Peter O.
Votes |
What is a reasonable ROI?

Peter O.
Posted Nov 13 2020, 15:19

This is my first post here, and I am just starting out, trying to learn, and hoping to make my first purchase, so please be patient if I am asking very basic questions. I just analyzed a property using the Bigger Pockets rental property calculator. I get a CoC ROI of 6.09, and a 5-year annualized return of 15.44. Now, I know that historic stock-market performance is about 7%.

My first question is, which number should I be looking at? Should I be comparing the 7% I will likely get by investing in an index fund versus the 6.09% CoC ROI, or the 15.44% 5-year annualized?

My second question is, are these good numbers? What would you consider to be a minimum return before you buy? After all, any purchase would require a lot of work, both before and after purchase, so I would like to be making more than the stock market to make it worth it.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Loading replies...