Bankability of Commission-Based Workers

Bankability of Commission-Based Workers

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes

How much would I need to make through commissions in order for banks to feel comfortable lending me money to buy real estate? Could I invest right away as a commissions-based worker, or would I need to build a few years first?

Hi all,

I'm soon to graduate from the University of Iowa with an Accounting degree, and after two internships in my chosen field I've realized that I would be extremely frustrated with the inefficiency of working 9-5. The main frustration comes from the fact that in my field (Accounting), most companies are paid based on billable hours, so they want you working 9-5 (or more accurately 8-10 during tax season) on SOMETHING, regardless of your production level and how important that thing is to generating revenue.

I'm interested in commission-based work so I can focus on the important few and outsource/eliminate the rest.

I want to understand what banks will want to see in order for them to feel comfortable lending to me to invest in real estate despite not having a salaried 9-5.

I aim to house-hack one small multifamily per year in Des Moines, Iowa and eventually move up to Mid-size and Large multifamily in the same area. My research suggests the initial small multifamily properties in this area typically run between $120k and $200k.

Des Moines Lenders, Des Moines Realtors, Iowa Realtors, Iowa Lenders, I would love your feedback on how much money I'll need to make off commissions in order for banks/credit unions to feel comfortable lending to me as a commissions-based worker. My main goal really is to invest and build my portfolio from right out of college's gates, so I want to ensure that I'll have the bankability necessary to do that before leaping off my current career path.

Thanks for your time,

AJ

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy and Hold Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 48 votes
6y

AJ, Michael’s post was spot on. Get a W2 job for a few years. Buy a couple of properties while there and learn the big company’s processes of doing business so you can apply those to your side-gig job. Once your side-gig earns you enough money, make the jump. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Congrats on this revelation !!!...I wish I had it much earlier in life.  I am not an accountant or banker so this just comes from personal experience from recently switching from a W2, to starting my own consulting firm... I can tell you that as a 1099, conventional lenders require 2 years of filed tax returns to qualify for a mortgage.

    I believe you only need 2 months (maybe 3) of pay stubs to get qualified from a W2 job though.  So you could always sign up for a day job, you are incredibly marketable with your education, and get your house hack done and closed, and perhaps another deal, and set yourself up where you are essentially living for free and then make the jump to commission.  Besides you can certainly start a commission based gig on the side of your 9-5 pretty easy and grow that side of your career.  I think your long term goal and vision is extremely awesome, and for sure the right mindset, but don't be afraid to take some baby steps over the next 2-3 years to get there.  The banking is 100% easier with a W2, especially when it comes to owner occupied loans and first time home buyers credits. 

    Now if you are looking to do a House hack or an income property...if you can show that the rents would support the property on their own without the need for your income I believe some banks or lenders would lend on that.  I don't think you'd be able to get a low down payment loan you'd probably have to do a 25% down investment loan...but again I'm not a lender...this is just from my experience talking to lenders trying to buy properties myself as a 1099 with under 2 years of tax returns.  But the people I worked with said, and I quote..."the property basically supports itself so we would lend on it all day"  

    On a totally separate note, if you aren't planning on it already I highly recommend setting up an Scorp LLC for your commission based job, I did one for my company and it has been great.


    Good Luck!!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    6y

    @Michael K Gallagher thanks for the response! I'm looking into freelance accounting after taking my licks for the first few years, or perhaps getting my realtors license and having that be my side-gig. Great advice with the SCorp/LLC direction! I've seen how that can provide a lot of tax breaks, so I'll 100% take advantage of that.

  • Buy and Hold Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    AJ, Michael’s post was spot on. Get a W2 job for a few years. Buy a couple of properties while there and learn the big company’s processes of doing business so you can apply those to your side-gig job. Once your side-gig earns you enough money, make the jump. 

  • Darson GranthamBusiness Member
    Realtor · Des Moines · Member since 2018 · 304 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith you have a ton of options to invest in real estate even if you aren't bankable, so don't let the tail wag the dog.

    You'll want to start calling local banks and credit unions to see what type of flexible loan programs they have for commission or entrepreneurs.  one for example is Marine Credit Union, they specialize in nonstandard loans.  The kicker here is that they charge a higher interest rate 6-8% and then you can refinance once you get the 2 yr average that traditional financing needs to see.

    You can also work your butt off to find property owners to sell on contract or find a sub2 deal where you simply take over their mortgage.  Both of those options will take a considerable amount of work, timing, good luck, and education, but it is possible!

    Good luck and as always keep me posted, I'd love to help in any way possible!

  • Buy and Hold Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    @AJ Smith If you do take a W-2 job, take the one that pays the most first to build up cash and/or the one where you will learn the most about the path you want to choose. Best if they are one in the same but if not, go for cash first. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.