FHA 203(k) Financing in Northern New Jersey

FHA 203(k) Financing in Northern New Jersey

Cranford, NJ · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi BP, 

Am a newbie investor looking to househack by buying a duplex as my primary residence in Northern NJ (looking for towns with good public districts, low crime, commutable to Manhattan). Have been looking into FHA 203(k) financing to buy a property that needs a little work / updating so as to add equity right away and not having to put the full 20% down when buying in a class A neighborhood. Would love to talk to other investors who have taken this path to hear about any lessons learned or advice on factors to take into consideration.

Longer term plan would be to owner occupy the duplex for 1+ years then buy a SFH in the area as my primary residence and keep this duplex as a rental property.

Thank you!

0Reply
10 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Tessa Schaaf

    What portion of Northern New Jersey? Message me if I can help.

  • Lender · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 82 votes
    6y

    Hi @Tessa Schaaf - I am not an investor in Northern NJ, but I do lend in NJ and have financed properties with a 203k loan. I would be happy to speak with you about the differences between a 203k and regular FHA loan and the pros and cons.

  • Daniel GonzalezPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Hi @Tessa Schaaf

    When I was looking for my first investment property I looked at all the FHA/low downpayment options. Most North Jersey markets have a pretty high barrier for entry in desirable areas so this is a good idea. Things I looked for in terms of commutable towns, I kept my eyes open for train stations in town or direct bus routes. This not only helps you directly while you house hack but is a big draw for other potential tenants who work in NYC.

    With 203k keep in mind that your rehab costs are added to the mortgage and you'll be paying PMI as well, so make sure you triple check your numbers. Additionally, with an FHA mortgage, you must occupy the property for at least 1 year as your primary residence. You said you planned to live there and then move. Think about whether you'd want to use another FHA loan on the next property.

    Hope this helps, good luck. 

  • Cranford, NJ · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @David M. Thank you! I will send you a message with the areas I’m targeting.

  • Cranford, NJ · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Gaetano Ciambriello Thank you, that’d be great! I will message you to set up some time.

  • Cranford, NJ · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Daniel Gonzalez thank you so much, this is very helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.