Financial Housekeeping before my 1st Investment Property

Financial Housekeeping before my 1st Investment Property

Kyle J. CooperPro Member
Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 43 votes

It's been a long time coming. All the time spent day dreaming over getting out of debt, building up savings for a down payment, and investing in that first property. Ahhh 2020 was that year! Then this thing called COVID-19 came around(Socialism for some of you conspiracy theorists), and wrecked many people's plans. I was one of those people, but I haven't given up hope, just yet!

The last few years have been productive to say the least. Personally I've gone from broke and in 90K in student loan debt(but still with a Bachelor's Degree), to increasing income 5X and being completely out of debt in my early 30s. My overall desire has been to enter REI from a position of strength, and once this pandemic hit and so many people lost their income(myself included) it seems to have put my plans on temporary hold.

Personally I have 6 months worth of expenses in an emergency fund, as well as enough for a down payment on a house hack, excellent credit, and before this pandemic had a fantastic DTI (I was hoping to use this to my advantage with lending). What are my options here? Do I need to find other creative ways for financing or should I just find another W-2 in order to qualify for more traditional lending? Partner with someone who would qualify for a mortgage and just bring the down payment?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks BP and keep spreading Love

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

@Kyle J. Cooper that really stinks that you have been put in a tough spot, but if I were you I would focus on getting the W-2 back in order so you can invest from a position of strength. Once you have the W-2, I would look to start investing immediately. You have done the hard work of getting out from under bad debt, and you should be set to start taking calculated risks so you can eventually exit the rat race. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. Cooper that really stinks that you have been put in a tough spot, but if I were you I would focus on getting the W-2 back in order so you can invest from a position of strength. Once you have the W-2, I would look to start investing immediately. You have done the hard work of getting out from under bad debt, and you should be set to start taking calculated risks so you can eventually exit the rat race. 

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    One of my biggest regrets now that I am "retired" is that I did not take advantage of as many conventional lending opportunities as I could have back in the days when I was minting easily verifiable income through my day job.  If you have creative alternatives, by all means use them.  However, reap what you can while mortgage money is cheap and plentiful.       

  • Kyle J. CooperPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @John Warren Thanks for the advice! My company recently offered to hire me back on, and knowing the power of having that W-2, especially since so many are without work, I've really started to think of the opportunities that could come with that. I think I'll take your advice and start looking at lending much more quickly when I go back to work, leverage that earned income to qualify for lending on this house hack. Thanks!

  • Kyle J. CooperPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 43 votes
    6y
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. Cooper, real estate investing is definitely a long slow journey, particularly with rentals.  The point being, you will get to your goal of pursuing real estate from a position of strength with a W2. It will let you compound your investments through easier, cheaper debt.  Combine that with living on as little as possible, and you will find that you can build yourself out of needing that W2 much faster.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.