Rental Property Investor · Willingboro, NJ · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 12 votes
Hi,
A new member who wanted to say hello and introduce myself from new jersey. Being a college student with very few resources, I'm glad I found this website right before I laid the last of my money out for a very expensive bootcamp! With that being said and going through the articles and forums, would you say that it would be more valuable to understand how markets work and their respective cycles rather than focusing all your energy on a specific tactic or strategy? Just wanted to make my education process smarter not harder. Thanks again BP
Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Jerome, welcome to BP. There are a lot of ways to get educated on real estate and it does not necessarily require courses or boot-camps or gurus. In fact, I got started in real estate by utilizing all free resources (minus a few books I purchased).
I was fortunate enough to find BP right when I was getting started in real estate, and am I glad about that. Right away I identified those investors who I could tell had experience and success and would be willing to share. I paid special attention to their posts, got involved in forum conversations, and even sent some private messages. I learned a ton and obviously I have continued to come back ever since.
I also hit up my local library. I did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on books I would read once and then put on a bookshelf so I went and checked some out and read them. Most libraries have pretty good real estate and finance sections. You can do a search in the top right of BP for "books" to find threads about the best rei books out there.
Another option is to find and attend rei clubs or associations. By attending and conversing with investors you can learn a lot about your local market and make some connections that can really come in handy as you get ready to start investing on your own.
I also decided to get my real estate sales agent license in my state. While I did not learn a lot about investing per se, I learned some of the basic terminology and the basics about standard sale procedures. This is one was not free either but it was cheap and I made up the difference with the commissions savings of my very first real estate transaction.
Finally, there are other numerous online resources, blogs, e-books, etc that can add to your foundation of knowledge for the low price of FREE.
Rental Property Investor · Redmond, OR · Member since 2012 · 72 posts · 13 votes
13y
I did the expensive boot camp before I found Bigger Pockets. Spending all that money made me serious about achieving my goals and not giving up but I wouldn't recommend it . If you can ask questions on hear and meet some investors in your area I think y for you would be better off. Save your money for your first deal. Welcome to BP @Jerome Adams
Investor · Nipomo, CA · Member since 2011 · 227 posts · 76 votes
13y
You have found a great source of information here on Bigger Pockets! I would also find a couple real estate investment clubs in your area and attend their meetings and pick up a few books to get started like books written by John Schaub. He is the real deal. Education is very important. Study people who are in the market doing deals, not some guru that just wants your money.
Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Jerome, welcome to BP. There are a lot of ways to get educated on real estate and it does not necessarily require courses or boot-camps or gurus. In fact, I got started in real estate by utilizing all free resources (minus a few books I purchased).
I was fortunate enough to find BP right when I was getting started in real estate, and am I glad about that. Right away I identified those investors who I could tell had experience and success and would be willing to share. I paid special attention to their posts, got involved in forum conversations, and even sent some private messages. I learned a ton and obviously I have continued to come back ever since.
I also hit up my local library. I did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on books I would read once and then put on a bookshelf so I went and checked some out and read them. Most libraries have pretty good real estate and finance sections. You can do a search in the top right of BP for "books" to find threads about the best rei books out there.
Another option is to find and attend rei clubs or associations. By attending and conversing with investors you can learn a lot about your local market and make some connections that can really come in handy as you get ready to start investing on your own.
I also decided to get my real estate sales agent license in my state. While I did not learn a lot about investing per se, I learned some of the basic terminology and the basics about standard sale procedures. This is one was not free either but it was cheap and I made up the difference with the commissions savings of my very first real estate transaction.
Finally, there are other numerous online resources, blogs, e-books, etc that can add to your foundation of knowledge for the low price of FREE.
Rental Property Investor · Willingboro, NJ · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 12 votes
13y
Thanks you all for the responses! Luckily I have access to alot of courses(lindahl,rich dad etc) and software(Realdata,housingalerts) that I can sift through. If anyone in new jersey wants to connect sometime let me know.
Real Estate Investor · North Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2012 · 85 posts · 8 votes
13y
I am new in some ways and in some ways an old timer. I started looking in 2000 but on an doff looked for years and only bought one unit til i thought the market got to crazy and i backed away for years. I am now back in and learning all over. I am in NJ. I believe you are near Philly? If so there are a lot of opportunities in that area as I know a few successful people doing it there. The taxes are far cheaper than NJ which is a huge help.
Any way feel free to contact me and I will see if I can help you in any way.