Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 3 votes
Hey everyone. I am 20 years old and currently live in the mid west. I live at home and don't really have any bills and right now have saved up a little over $20,000. I wanted to get to $30,000 before starting my home search. I was planning on buying a 2-4 unit property with an FHA loan.
Now with the whole virus going around I've heard lots of different things from different people. Apparently FHA loans have been suspended. Is now still a good time to buy? What would you do if you were me? I was very eager to start and now this happens :/ Thank you!
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane pro tip; don't quit your job like that, ease into it, real estate investing takes capital and a job is the best way to get that when starting out. If you want to be an RE agent, do it part time, because building a clientele is hard and I mean really hard and with it being a commission based job it can be feast or famine. Anyone on a commission based job right now that doesn't have a good amount of savings is probably going to have a rough time.
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
Stick to your plan if you need $30k for an adequate down payment and reserves then stick with that, there isn't a massive buying opportunity in RE yet like there was in the stock market. If you rushed into buying something now you'd pay the same price you might have a slightly more difficult time in finding a tenant and you'd have less reserves so there isn't really an upside.
Agreed. You have 20k of your 30k goal saved thus far so it would be a good idea to meet your goal of saving up to 30k first. The RE market might drop like the stock market has, it might increase dramatically, or it might stay as it has been for a decade, no one knows. That's why it's a good idea for you to stick to your original goal of saving to 30k as you'll be better prepared to pounce on any possible deal that comes your way.
Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 3 votes
6y
@Aaron K. Thank you! I'm just worried that I'm the coming months even if home values were to drop. It would be hard for me to acquire a loan. An FHA loan to be exact to house hack.
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane if your credit situation doesn't change it would be unlikely you would be denied for a loan that you would be able to qualify for today. In addition if and this is a big IF the RE market goes down that just means you can get a better property for less money.
Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 3 votes
6y
@Aaron K. Your a legend. Appreciate the help. It’s not easy being so young and I only have a year of credit history lol. I’m well into the 700s and have zero debt or current loans out. I plan on quitting my job when I buy the house and getting into real estate and investing full time! Thanks again Aaron.
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane pro tip; don't quit your job like that, ease into it, real estate investing takes capital and a job is the best way to get that when starting out. If you want to be an RE agent, do it part time, because building a clientele is hard and I mean really hard and with it being a commission based job it can be feast or famine. Anyone on a commission based job right now that doesn't have a good amount of savings is probably going to have a rough time.
Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
6y
I house hacked around your age with far less money down during the GFC. While I don't like to beat myself up, selling that house was something I wish I could take back so much, even with the profit I made on it. It would have been amazing to have 8 or so years later. Definitely try and buy after you hit your DP goal. I'm not saying rush and buy a bad deal but once you start building equity it makes things a lot easier. An hell yes to Aaron's advice, keep your job.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Wait, this isn't a good time to buy a house or find a person to rent a room with. Timing is everything, the odds are greater it'll be a better buying environment in the future than it is now.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
Use this as an opportunity to get a better deal then you can when everyone else is competing with you. I offered for a personal place last week and could care less what it does in next month I buy for the long term investment. Italy has now seen 3 days of decreases. It's likely this virus will be relatively short lived. China PMI came out today (not sure how accurate being china ha) but they are recovering rapidly.
Also not sure what everyone is talking about with mortgage. I use a good investment friendly lender and closed a deal last week and close another Friday. I am doing a cash out myself also and nothing with it has changed. There are differant ways to run loan freddie or fannie etc. to get around any issues.
Rental Property Investor · Grand Haven, MI · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 108 votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane
What’s the rush? Stick to your original plan. We are in the 1st inning of dealing with this virus. We have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Will this have the arc of The Spanish Flu and be with us for 18-36 months? Will we slowly adopt an approach more akin to how Sweden is dealing with the virus? Will we find a vaccine in 15-18 months? Lots of uncertainty.
If this is in fact with us for a period of time, tomorrow’s deals will be better than today’s. For reference, I have been able to sell two multi’s since March 1st. Buyers didn’t back out and the perceived safety of Multi Family RE as an safe asset class is for the time being outweighing the uncertainty in every aspect of our economy. I would expect that to slowly change over time. Full disclosure, I live in Chicago & have investment properties in Northwest Indiana & Chicago. Not exactly high flying markets to begin with.
Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane
You’re in a great spot man. Like others have said - continue saving for another 6months/year or so and I think you’ll have your pick of places here shortly due to foreclosures, you should be able to swoop one up at a great price. Even with the virus craziness I really don’t see you getting a loan being that big of a challenge, assuming the other boxes are checked (reserves, income, credit, etc)
I just bought a 4plex house hack in The Gate area, it was a really really good deal before the crash and I’d say now it’s just a really good deal. PM if you wanna grab coffee sometime. I’m a noobie too but I definitely am open to helping you out / offering any advice that I can.
Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
6y
@Blake McFarlane, I believe you should go ahead with your plan. I just read an article about the Chinese Real Estate market and it came back to them like an elastic. What you have to understand is people have lives and they'll need to move: for school boundaries reason, to downside, to go to new colleges, there will be newly formed households, also with people in close quarters they'll observe that maybe their accommodations are not good enough, too big or too small.
So, really after the quarantine, I expect everyone to jump in the market and as the inventory is low - there will actually be multiple offers. Also, as there will be a lot of mortgage applications, the interest rates will go up.
If you buy right, meaning the property you are buying will give you great cash flow, or if you do house hacking at a low-interest rate - you shall jump at the chance of buying it, as you are buying for the long term. Even if it turns out that the price drops a bit - it will recover quickly and you'll be in a property with positive cash-flow paying it down month after month and getting depreciation and tax deductions so you'll lower your IRS bill.
Hey everyone. I am 20 years old and currently live in the mid west. I live at home and don't really have any bills and right now have saved up a little over $20,000. I wanted to get to $30,000 before starting my home search. I was planning on buying a 2-4 unit property with an FHA loan.
Now with the whole virus going around I've heard lots of different things from different people. Apparently FHA loans have been suspended. Is now still a good time to buy? What would you do if you were me? I was very eager to start and now this happens :/ Thank you!
You're post ends with "What Do I Do" What you should do is research from credible sources. I can tell from your comment "Apparently FHA loans have been suspended" that you're not using credible sources. "I've heard lots of different things from different people" also tells me you're not using credible sources. Call your local bank/credit union or mortgage broker and ask them if they are still lending. Check the HUD website, who control FHA, and see if you see anything that suggests FHA loans have been suspended. (You won't find it)
Sorry if I sound harsh or critical but starting out you're career in anything including Real Estate means getting your information from credible sources. Here's what's going on
For FHA-insured mortgage loans and loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (collectively referred to as the GSEs), a 60-day moratorium on foreclosures and evictions effective as of March 18, 2020, and (See source in link below)
For Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac borrowers facing a hardship related to COVID-19, the expansion of forbearance and loan modification eligibility requirements and suspension of adverse credit reporting.
Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 3 votes
6y
@Michael Wegner Appreciate it Michael! And I would love to connect man. If your on any social media I can reach out via that. Still getting used to bigger pockets and I’m unsure if your able to message people through here lol