New to RE Investing, starting out in Chicago

New to RE Investing, starting out in Chicago

Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes

Hey everyone! I am new to this site and even newer in RE investing. Investing in real estate is something that has caught my eye for a long time, but I never had actually put any real thought into it until recently. I was invited to one of those "guru" seminars by one of my friends, and after I attended I decided to take a closer look myself into just how much I could learn on my own. Wow! What an endless realm of information there is available through books, blogs, websites, etc! Within a short time I am amazed at how much knowledge and information I have amassed on every aspect and facet of investing. I only wish I would have taken the plunge and started educating myself much sooner. I am 25 years old, recently divorced, recently broke through that divorce(marriage is a terrible investment :) ) and ready for something new and exciting. I live in Chicago, and being a city guy I am interested in starting out by investing in smaller multi family dwellings (2, 3, 4 flats) doing minor rehab/repair work, maximizing rent potential, minimizing maintenance costs by managing the buildings and tenants myself, and holding on to them for a while and see what I can make of it. Possibly selling in the future to start investing in some apartment buildings? I don't really have any interest in investing in single family homes and I know exactly what I want to gain from this experience. I just want to know if there is anyone out there in the Chicago area who specializes in this area and could possibly offer some mentoring advice for a guy just starting out? My main questions include how exactly to go about securing financing when you have poor credit/ no working capital. I plan on attending the ext available REIC meetings scheduled in my area to hopefully meet a few like minded individuals with more experience/knowledge. 2nd, for example, lets say I want to buy a 3 unit building and live in one of the units myself. I am a little confused on the difference in terms of how to go about financing/contracting as opposed to taking over the building and renting all three units? Like I said, I'm new to this and am trying to learn as much as I can but just am not sure how to actually jump into the first deal and take the big plunge. Any feedback is appreciated thank you!

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
13y

Welcome ,,

If you’re looking to getting into wholesaling
follow @Kevin Tunney threads

Looking for local lender / buy & hold
look over @Eric Michaels threads

Both our from the Windy city

Experts indicate you need 20% for multi-family
,, but if you go through HUD / Fannie Mae / Homepath
( smaller down payment for Owner Occupied - most likely)

Maybe check for city owned properties

Where you purchase low and build sweat equity

For example ( Owner Occupied )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
City of Milwaukee here offers low purchase
price and rehab loans at extremely low rates

Do not shell out any money until you at
least visited your local REI club a few times

Reason
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
that would help point you in the best
real estate directions for your local market

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Welcome ,,

    If you’re looking to getting into wholesaling
    follow @Kevin Tunney threads

    Looking for local lender / buy & hold
    look over @Eric Michaels threads

    Both our from the Windy city

    Experts indicate you need 20% for multi-family
    ,, but if you go through HUD / Fannie Mae / Homepath
    ( smaller down payment for Owner Occupied - most likely)

    Maybe check for city owned properties

    Where you purchase low and build sweat equity

    For example ( Owner Occupied )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    City of Milwaukee here offers low purchase
    price and rehab loans at extremely low rates

    Do not shell out any money until you at
    least visited your local REI club a few times

    Reason
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    that would help point you in the best
    real estate directions for your local market

  • Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Thanks Jenkins! I will definitely check out those threads immediately. I understand the concept of OPM and utilizing hard money lenders to fund an investment purchase, I guess it all comes down to networking and getting to know the right people to actually make it happen, as is how it works in any field/industry. I plan on trying to increase equity in any property I get involved in-I have a construction background and a couple of contractrs I would like to get involved with me if this could become a reality. Do you operate in Milwaukee? I am actually from Milwaukee I lived there my whole life. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 18 an when I got out I moved to Chicago for a better job opportunity than I could get in Milwaukee. I understand the economy in general is a bit more stable in Chicago than it is there, and the unemployment rate is quite high up there as well. I don't know much about the market but that would lead me to believe that there must be some great opportunities in Milwaukee. I was also interested in pursuing investments in that area as well, as I know the city like the back of my hand. Suburbs, not so much but I know all the neighborhoods and who comprises residents in those areas. I have another question for you: Do you work with inner city real estate, and if so, do you find it difficult to unload a rehabbed/ updated property that should hold a significant value do to increase in neighborhood deterioration/ crime rates?

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Do you operate in Milwaukee?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes, I plan to take my real estate exam in next couple of days

    “ more stable in Chicago than it is there “
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I agree more opportunities in Chicago

    “ Do you work with inner city real estate, and if so, do you find it
    difficult to unload a rehabbed/ updated property that should hold
    a significant value do to increase in neighborhood
    deterioration/ crime rates "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Currently most people our not investing into Milwaukee inner city
    Majority investors our running to Milwaukee Suburb communities

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Chicago thread

    www.biggerpockets.com/forums/88/topics/77621-1st-chicago-property---how-----did-i-do

  • Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Thanks for all the insight and the blog post...very informative and a good look at a situation similar to what I want to get into. The answer to my question about urban properties is what I expected, pretty much why I havn't really looked into that market up there. I didn't know much about the suburb scene either. I myself own a property in Racine which was my primary residence for a short time until I divorced my wife and moved to Chicago...I had it built(stupid, I know but it was what the lady wanted) and ultimately couldn't sell it when I moved as it is in a new subdivision and there are a lot of nicer, bigger, slightly older homes for sale in the area for less than what I owed on my loan, plus there are more than a few foreclosures/vacancies in this neighborhood. I am currently renting it to make the payments. Anyway, thanks for replying to my post. I come up that way quite often, maybe we will cross paths one day

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    sounds good

  • SFR Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 83 votes
    13y

    Colin,

    Never stop learning, invest in yourself. People poo poo the guru shows, but you know if you spend a few hundred bucks and attend and pick up 1 item to help you close a deal in real estate, what is that worth, at least 5 to 10x the cost?

    Real estate is a simple business that is not simple. For that matter, we need to, as professionals, continue to learn and educate outselves, so never stop learning, either here or in a book or in the trenches with a mentor.

    Ignorance is the most expensive lesson to learn.

    Jack

  • Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Jack-

    Thank you for that simple piece of advice. I didnt poo poo the gurus as you said, but rather I was torn between the thoughts that yes, investing a little into my future could be priceless, but at the same time, I might as well try and learn as much as I can on my own before I decide its necessary to pay someone else to do my dirty work. Ultimately, there is no replacement for experience and hard work but I feel like I should understand the basics thoroughly for myself before it should ever be necessary to have someone else do my leg work for me. There will come a point in time where I may feel like I could benefit from from more experienced investors, but I feel it is important to do as much research on my own as possible to fully grasp the concepts of investing before i ever set foot in a classroom or put a dollar on the table

  • Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Ignorance is a very expensive lesson to learn- I have learned this lesson on may occasions- not necessarily in real estate but in many other aspects of my life. I hope I can take what I have learned and apply it to this as much as I can so as to not make as many mistakes as those before me. Thank you for your advice

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    Hey Colin - welcome to BP!

    Your enthusiasm will serve you well. Having a background in construction is an asset as well. Find some way to put your skills to work while learning REI - ask lots of questions along the way.

    Understand your deficiencies - you mentioned capital/credit. Work on overcoming those or find others who complement your abilities. Good luck!

  • New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Hey Colin,

    I don't consider myself an investor but I have owned 2 rental properties over the years. It is a good idea to network with investors at REI meetings to get some insight. I have talked with several other investors just to find out what areas are good to invest in. As you know, there are tons of properties in Chicago but they stay vacant for a reason. Hopefully we can network and share ideas and strategies.

  • Commercial / Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    @Dave-

    Thanks for the advice. I am working as hard as I can to bring my credit back up. It is a long process lol...it is definitely taking a lot longer to bring it up than it did to tear it down! Before my divorce I had a 810 FICO and at its worst earlier this year it was 480. Its back up to 580 so slowly but surely...and I will definitely be asking plenty more questions on here and anywhere else I may find answers

    @Erich-

    I cant wait to check out REIC meetings and see what they are all about. I'm pretty excited have a chance to meet someone who is working with real estate and isn't trying to sell me something lol. I know what areas and kind of properties I want to invest in, but like you said, someone else may know something about the area I don't know and will be able to tell me reasons why or why not to invest in something. Thanks for the advice and we could definitely work together if I ever actually get something done lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.