House Hacking in Northern Virginia/Maryland Questions

House Hacking in Northern Virginia/Maryland Questions

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hello all, I am new to the world of real estate investing and would like to house hack to cover my mortgage. I've been doing a lot of research and I concluded on a particular plan.

I am looking at Woodbridge/Dumfries and Gaithersburg MD. My mortgage broker has pre approved me for 280k. I currently rent in Rockville MD and tried looking at investment/househacking opportunities in Rockville but everything was beyond my price range.

Last weekend I went with two agents to see properties in the area, primarily townhomes (3bed2+bath MUST have a basement where I would live), I didn't consider SFH because, again, out of the price range, also some didn't make sense on cash on cash.

So from my limited understanding you will find yourself with interested people wanting to rent if they live in the basement, and I've seen many ads in Woodbridge/Gaithersburg for people renting a basement in a townhouse. However, I wanted to take it a step further and have me living in the basement (I really do not need much more than this) and have them rent out the upper portion. I guess what I'm trying to do is to make a townhouse into sort of a duplex. Once I'm gone, I'd also rent the top part and the basement separately (only logistic issue we have so far are that the laundry/washer are located in the basement and I'd have to re-arrange them for the tenant upstairs but this isn't a problem) because this is the only way I'd actually make a return on my investment. I spoke to my realtors and they both seem to have "never seen" or "heard of" something like this, as if it's quite a strange idea, not the actual house hacking, but house hacking the basement while renting the above. 

My primary concern is how wide my net is when I cast it upon the waters of Woodbridge and Gaithersburg, am I going to find a family that's willing to live with some dude and his girlfriend in the basement? Although, consider we will be fully separated and never have to see each other unless they knock on our door.

An example with numbers:

Mortgage is 1500$
Rents out the whole place for 1700$
I live in the basement so I have to reduce that number a bit, again, I have asked my agents and they have no idea what to reduce that number to, the only thing I thought of was asking a property management company in the area and seeing if they had experience with this.
For the sake of the example, let's say they rent out the upper part for 1200 instead of 1700. Still a good deal, but my question is, why would they ever rent something like that over another similar house that doesn't have someone living downstairs (again - it would be completely separated with separate entrances as well - we would never see each other, but still). 

If it's a family, wouldn't they simply go elsewhere... what's the benefit of living in my house? I can make the rent cheaper and cheaper but at that point I'm losing money. Also, once I ultimately leave, my other question is, how much does the basement rent for? I have seen it be 800 a month in this area, but how true is this fantasy where I also have the upper part occupied meanwhile they have someone else living downstairs?

In the case that it is true, it's an amazing cash on cash, it's 1200 for upstairs, 800 for downstairs, 2000 in versus my mortgage of 1500, 500 profit a month. Down payment of 35k plus closing costs on a 260k is around 13% return.

This is the first time I'm doing any of this and I'd love it if the more experienced people would tell me how to find the answers to these problems, or if this is just too risky of an idea considering the potential vacancy. I appreciate the help, thank you deeply. 

1Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
7y

@Juan Rodriguez congratulations on your plan. It’s totally doable.

You can rent upstairs easily for $1500 assuming is a 3 bedroom an you have everything you need in the basement.

Also if you can rent upstairs by room and you would get much more since you can rent each room for at least $600 easily. There’s plenty of single people looking for rooms to rent that never cook and only get home to sleep and shower.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez

    Id suggest Gaithersburg over Woodbridge. Higher demand there.

    You can have roommates upatairs, however you can not have 2 seperate units in a town house. Accessory dwelling units are permitted in single families only.

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 429 posts · 393 votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez

    A few thoughts... first, you probably want to look for single young adults or young adult couples rather than families.

    Also, be sure to check the HOA guidelines before purchasing, as some HOA's in the area do not allow home owners to sublet their basement (or I guess reverse in your case).

    Have you considered Manassas as well? You can get a nice townhome in Manassas morning in your price range.

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez congratulations on your plan. It’s totally doable.

    You can rent upstairs easily for $1500 assuming is a 3 bedroom an you have everything you need in the basement.

    Also if you can rent upstairs by room and you would get much more since you can rent each room for at least $600 easily. There’s plenty of single people looking for rooms to rent that never cook and only get home to sleep and shower.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez check out Ohio you can buy a fourplex for 280 live in one and rent three. Maryland is for losers.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    @Juan Rodriguez

    Id suggest Gaithersburg over Woodbridge. Higher demand there.

    You can have roommates upatairs, however you can not have 2 seperate units in a town house. Accessory dwelling units are permitted in single families only.

    Thank you for the suggestion of Gaithersburg. It's funny that you say that because when I asked my real estate agents about renting out a part of the home while living in the other he said sarcastically, "Don't worry, the HOA police won't come knocking on your door asking to see your rental agreement." The other agent, when I asked the same thing told me that it's only very select few HOAs in the area that are strict with their rental restriction as to what you can or cannot rent. From the properties we've seen all of them were okay, were they lying to me or am I misunderstanding something?

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Coleman:

    @Juan Rodriguez

    A few thoughts... first, you probably want to look for single young adults or young adult couples rather than families.

    Also, be sure to check the HOA guidelines before purchasing, as some HOA's in the area do not allow home owners to sublet their basement (or I guess reverse in your case).

    Have you considered Manassas as well? You can get a nice townhome in Manassas morning in your price range.

    I have not considered Manassas, thank you, I will check it out, and yes, as I just mentioned in the above post (sorry I don't know how to reply/quote all at the same time, don't mean to bump unnecessarily) I was told that the HOA's in that particular area do allow rental of a part of the home. Regarding the young adults and young adult couples, is that a demographic that makes sense for the area or are those places generally more families? I am not sure where to find this information.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez

    There isn't any HOAs in the area that have rental restrictions that Im aware of, and I would be aware of them. (HOAs, not condo associations).

    Biggest issue to keep in mind is county occupancy limits. 5 unrelated people max in a property.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sergio Toledo:

    @Juan Rodriguez congratulations on your plan. It’s totally doable.

    You can rent upstairs easily for $1500 assuming is a 3 bedroom an you have everything you need in the basement.

    Also if you can rent upstairs by room and you would get much more since you can rent each room for at least $600 easily. There’s plenty of single people looking for rooms to rent that never cook and only get home to sleep and shower.

    I have considered this as well, again, I just don't know if these numbers are fantasy made up on the spot or if they're real, and if they are, how do I go about finding them for the properties I am looking at? A property management company? 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    @Juan Rodriguez

    There isn't any HOAs in the area that have rental restrictions that Im aware of, and I would be aware of them. (HOAs, not condo associations).

    Biggest issue to keep in mind is county occupancy limits. 5 unrelated people max in a property.

     That's good to know, thank you. 

  • Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Your realtor can provide you with comparable rents in that area. Check out rentometer.com

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nkiruka Okeke:

    Your realtor can provide you with comparable rents in that area. Check out rentometer.com

     Hey, thank you for replying, the issue that I have with rentometer is that the realtor, when I ask for the rent, gives me a different number that's genrally lower than rentometer, so again, I don't want to be optimistic about it and then the numbers don't work out. People swear by rentometer but again, it's not something I'm familiar with. I've only confirmed it with my current rent in Rockville and asked a few friends who rent to see, it was accurate, but again, I'm cautious. Do you still recommend rentometer?

  • Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Use the lower numbers for your estimate. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. You can find ways to find a good deal where the numbers work in your worst case scenario. 

    You know what you can afford, now find a property and area that works for you. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    I do not recommend rentometer.

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Juan Rodriguez the numbers are real. Just post an ad in Craigslist for a room at $600 and you’ll see how many calls you will get.

    I usually use rentometer and works fine for me.

    Also your agent should be an investor himself/herself since they can give you first hand advise.

    Gaithersburg is a nice area, though you need to make sure parking is available for all your tenants as I’m some areas there’s limited parking.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sergio Toledo:

    @Juan Rodriguez the numbers are real. Just post an ad in Craigslist for a room at $600 and you’ll see how many calls you will get.

    I usually use rentometer and works fine for me.

    Also your agent should be an investor himself/herself since they can give you first hand advise.

    Gaithersburg is a nice area, though you need to make sure parking is available for all your tenants as I’m some areas there’s limited parking.

     Thank you for the advice, Sergio, I appreciate it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.