Numbers - not my strongest point

Numbers - not my strongest point

Real Estate Investor · West, East Michigan · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 3 votes

Some of you might have seen my other posting regarding a LLC with a relative of mine.

She will purchase a house in cash for $35,000 and lease it back to me at $235 per month. The current tenant is paying $800 per month. I will be responsible for the tax, insurance and upkeep (basically I’ll be a property manager). After paying the lease and everything else I keep what’s left. Tax is about $950 per year, I’m figuring about $1,000 to 1,200 per year for insurance. Might be a little low on that number though.

The agreement that we have written up so far is that I can keep maintaining the house, renting it out until a day that either of us want to sell it. At the time of selling, for what ever price I sell it at I return her $35,000 that she invested and again I get to keep the rest.

It sounds like a win-win situation. I know it can get very complicated trying to get lawyers and accountants involved, but since it’s “in the family” I think it should be pretty easy. I’m sure something like this happens all the time.

But looking at my numbers, I should be able to sock away a few hundred per month but the main goal is to get some experience from her since she’s been doing this for more than 20 years.

So, my question is, if anyone would like to chime in and throw some scenarios out there I’d be happy to listen.

0Reply
44 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Sounds like you have a plan and it can work for you. Your arrangement though promted me to comment.

    Basically what you have is a net listing when you sell the property.

    If you are immediate family members, sisters, mother daughter, you are in the clear!

    Such an arrangement sounds like it would require a real estate license and net listings are illegal in all states for Realtors. You are exempt from these issues since you are immediate family members.

    Just saying in case a new person on this site thinks of doing the same thing.

    Your family member seems to be making a great deal for you. What happens if one of you becomes incapacitated, dies, takes bankruptcy or other things in life happen.....have you addressed those issues?

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · West, East Michigan · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    She has a will that any current and future investment properties that she has will be turned over to me. If something happens to me, she's in the clear since my name is no where on any of the papers for the house. Right now I don't have any connections for her current properties and if she was to file bankruptcy (which I doubt), then I'm out of a house that I was managing but I'm not out any money, only my time that I learned. Using her as a mentor is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Call a few places on insurance and get rates. Good luck.

  • West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
    14y

    Im in the same area, if this is a house you should be able to insure it around $750

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    With Ryan's estimate on insurance and then your estimate of taxes I get a total payment of around 376.67 a month.

    Even if this house has deferred maintenance and you put in 150 a month you are at 526.67 which is a win-win and below market according to the 800 you mentioned.

    How does she plan on getting the current tenant out at 800 a month?? Is she paying them money to leave or evicting?? The only unknown so far is the inspection of the property and issues after the current tenant leaves.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    14y

    You should easily be able to insure that property for $400 or less (maybe closer to $300), you don't need full replacement coverage, so do call around. Talk to an independent agent that represents multiple carriers.

    Be sure to appeal the tax bill based on the purchase price establishing a new lower value.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    Sounds like a good deal, my only question/concern is:

    If the current or new tenants trash the place, who will be footing the bill for fix-up? (I am guessing you)

  • Real Estate Investor · West, East Michigan · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Currently there are tenants in the house that said they would like to sign a new lease with the new owner and they are currently paying $800 per month. They have been keeping up with the place and don't fear that they would trash it, but if they did, yes, I would be the one to fix and replace anything that needs to be done. In a way, I was hoping she would find something that I could fix up and tinker with for a few months. A handy man's special but this one is a turn key.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Isn't there another property should could purchase close by that the current tenants could be moved too OR that you could live in as a fixer upper??

    Seems like that would be the easiest way to make this work.

  • West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
    14y

    If you do this deal please reply back on insurance cost. Fire/dwelling and the big one liability

  • Real Estate Investor · West, East Michigan · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Hey Joel.

    I happen to be looking at a house that's a block away from my home. Will be putting in an offer tonight, but I'll be taking some measurements and crunching some numbers to see if I can rehab it within the budget I'm willing to spend.

  • Real Estate Investor · West, East Michigan · Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Well, the house I had my eye one and placed a bid was a no go. The bank said I was the lowest of 8 other offers.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Just to draw attention to a point made above. You have enough cash flow to create a deferred maintenance fund. Whether that is $150 a month or half of that is up to you. Perhaps get some guidance from your relative on it. As it depends on unit type and how new or old and the appliances and systems in the house. Set that number up and put the money into a bank account as a savings plan until it is needed.

    One function of your deal is to give you experience with physical issues from tenants, repairs and payments, etc. The other is cash management which includes creating a budget and following it. There might be a couple other expense categories you need to set aside for such as accounting/tax prep since this is all new to you as well. Sitting down with your relative with a budget and asking for input is good business acumen and shows your maturity in the business world.

    After all, your relative started you on a turn key project first as opposed to a flip like you mentioned. These turn keys are easier in nature than rehab projects. Perhaps your "Yoda" is present and you showing the additional intent and maturity will help you pursue additional projects.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.