Washington, DC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
Hello All,
This is will be my first time purchasing an additional property. I am planning to purchase my parents former home. They have moved to a new home and want to sell the old one. They've rented it out before, but they no longer want the hassle of managing it, etc. I would like to purchase it from them. I am an only child, and I've grown up in the house and would like to keep it in the family and continue to use it as rental property. The home is 19 years old and is in good condition and upgraded with new appliances, etc. My parents have always rented to Military Families so they've never had any real damages that they had to be concerned about.
With this being my first rental property and second home purchase, are there any advice or guidance you all can provide to me through this process? If all goes well, I will continue to look to purchase more rental properties.
My advice would be to do the work to make sure that buying the property is a good deal. You don't want to put yourself in a position where it does not cash flow. Your post makes it seem like you have an emotional/sentimental attachment to the home. When you are investing you need to set all emotion aside. Do the numbers and see if it makes sense. Try to fiugre out how to make it a good deal for you and your parents. If you can't make it work let them sell it.
Washington, DC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
6y
Hi! I'm back :-) I'm still looking into purchasing the property and seeking some advice on the best way to finance the purchase. I've been doing research on HELOC loans, but I'm a little leery of taking this approach since it would be leveraging my current home. Also, I may not have a full understanding of HELOC loans and how they work and this could be the best way forward. I currently have student loans (*cringe*) and a little bit of credit card debt. I'm not sure how all of this would effect my DTI when possibly applying for a home loan for this second property. I plan to get pre-approved to see what I actually qualify for with all of those factors in place.
Any guidance on purchasing my first rental property would be AMAZING!