Can I do my Rehabs myself? (Michigan)

Can I do my Rehabs myself? (Michigan)

Handyman · Northville, MI · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 7 votes

I've been stewing on this thought for over months now. I thought I had the answer once I talked to my boss for a day about it (we are a Renovations company). However, after reading about permits in J Scott's "Estimating Rehab Costs" book,  I learned that some jurisdictions don't allow rental property owners to pull their own permits. My boss seems to be convinced that you can, as any liability will pass to you, and therefore code is enforced in order to protect the general contractor. But other forum posts seem to indicate that code is there to protect the general contractor and tenants, which seems fair to me.

My question now becomes: If I intend on doing most of the renovation work myself, whether it be a flip or Rehab Rental, am I legally allowed to do the work without a builders license? This would include pulling permits and scheduling inspections, and obviously all the work as well. I plan on one day getting my license, but if I find a property before then, I don't want to screw myself by buying the property and then learning that I can't perform the work myself, thereby under budgeting my rehab costs. 

Thanks to all that take the time to read this!

1Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    It depends on the work you need to complete and the state and local ordinance the property is located in.  Start with the city's building commission and talk with them.  The larger the city, the more probable it is you will have to get a licensed contractor to do the job and deal with multiple inspections.  The smaller the city, the more likely you'll be dealing with few rules and loose inspections.

    Usually a building commission is staffed with crew that are willing to help out beginners; call them and explain what you're thinking about and they can explain process.  Some, like this example (https://cityofjeff.net/building-commission), clearly lay out what's allowed and what require a license. 

    When in doubt, assume HVAC, gas, elec, plumbing should be done by a licensed pro and budget accordingly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.