Do you contribute to ROTH? Do you contribute past match for 401k?

Do you contribute to ROTH? Do you contribute past match for 401k?

Rental Property Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 1 vote

I currently deposit 12% of my paycheck into my employer 401(k) and they put 50% up to a max of 6%. I also put $500 a month into a mutual fund (currently at 4k). When it reaches 5k I planned to put it in a ROTH, however, since I'm not planning on getting into real estate investing I'm really rethinking my contributions. Would it be wise to drop down to 6% 401(k) and 0 into my mutual/roth in order to save up for real estate earlier? I realize my taxes will be a bit more due to this, trying to see if the benefits outweigh the costs?

Thanks

0Reply
21 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 146 votes
    7y

    I only contribute up to what my company will match in my 401k. I also max out my Roth IRA every year in a target fund.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Justin Teal

    I contribute up to the match percent to mine and my wife's 401k. Then fully fund two Roth IRAs (one for each of us). After that I have taxable investment accounts and saving for my investing down payment.

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin Teal

    Contributing to a Roth 401k is ideal since all the gains grow tax free.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.