FEL or HELOC (Newbie lining up Finances before property)

FEL or HELOC (Newbie lining up Finances before property)

Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes

Hi there, 

Based on the newbie introduction - others wisely recommended that I line up my finances before property. So, I have one rental which previously had been my primary residence. 

I have been in contact with Navy Federal Credit Union who will allow HELOC or Fixed Equity Loan (FEL) upto 70% on the property. This will provide me the adequate capital for another rental property.

Based on my understanding, the key difference between Heloc or FEL is that with FEL it's a fixed interest rate on amount withdrawn whereas HELOC you have option to draw down as necessary but it's variable interest rate. If I am using the funds for downpayment, I think a FEL would be better since the rate would be fixed. Would you agree or am I missing something? Should I consider HELOC instead? 

Thank you in advance! 

Matthew

0Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matthew Cyriac

    Hi Matthew, newbie here too but here is my take.

    Depends entirely on your rental property strategy. Buy and hold on a cash flow play, very little appreciation. I can see how the FEL might be more attractive with the fixed rate.

    BRRRR strategy or high appreciation strategy with a refinance where you're getting your money back relatively fast then HELOC since you can just reuse those funds whereas when you pay back the FEL you have to get another one for your next deal and you're paying interest on the FEL inbetween deals.

  • Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Thank you @Johnny Sung:

    Yes, I am planning for buy & hold with no planned appreciation (appreciation will be a welcome bonus :)). You do bring up a good question that I need to check if I can have multiple FEL, as long as I am below the 70% threshold that Navy Federal has. Also, I found out that PenFed will let you go up to 80% but they only have a HELOC.

    @Matthew Cyriac

    Hi Matthew, newbie here too but here is my take.

    Depends entirely on your rental property strategy. Buy and hold on a cash flow play, very little appreciation. I can see how the FEL might be more attractive with the fixed rate.

    BRRRR strategy or high appreciation strategy with a refinance where you're getting your money back relatively fast then HELOC since you can just reuse those funds whereas when you pay back the FEL you have to get another one for your next deal and you're paying interest on the FEL inbetween deals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.