Real Estate Agent · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
Hello!
I'm wondering what would be the smartest thing to do with the 15k we have. We could either use it all to pay off some of our credit card debt to increase our credit scores and so that when do invest (we want to use the BRRRR strategy) we can do so without worrying too much about being declined for a refi because of our debt/scores.
We have about 24k total debt just in credit cards, so we'd have around 9k still after paying the 15k off.
Our goal is to invest out of state where it isn't so expensive, but now typing this out I'm not even sure if we could get a regular loan to purchase an out of state duplex with our down payment if our debt isn't lowered and credit scores aren't brought up?
I guess I'm leaning toward using it to pay down debt but it would be nice to hear any opinions or maybe other ideas of what I could possibly do with it? Thanks!
Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 123 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna I would use it to pay down the credit card debt. Assuming regular CC rates of 20%+, the amount you'd be saving in interest every month might just be similar to the amount of cashflow you'd get from one or two doors.
Again assuming high interest rates, can you transfer the balance to a line or credit or get a promotional rate of low interest? That might help keep the costs from escalating while you work on paying it down aggressively.
Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna what is the ratio of your $24k to your credit limit? Not a financial expert, but from my own experience paying off a huge chunk of debt only made a significant increase in my score if it dropped me into the lower percentile of debt usage. $24k of debt w/ $100k available isn't as big of a deal compared to you only having $30k available and are pushing that limit. Also, the DTI ratio would be another factor to look at when making the decision as well.
Real Estate Agent · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
7y
@Ryan Bonner
Thanks so much for your input! Current credit card limit combined is 54k, so we’re at about 45% usage which is making a big difference in our credit. Prior to the increased balances my credit was around 718 and has dropped to the lower 600’s with nothing in collections or late payments.
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Larissa Luna I hate to say this because I know you must be so energized to get another deal done but my gut says throw it all your credit card debt first. You will have such an easier time financing future investment properties with a better score. Hard Money and Commercial options won't care about your DTI but FICO will affect pricing big time.
Real Estate Agent · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
7y
@Alex Bekeza
Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I’m leaning towards and will probably end up doing. Just didn’t know if there was something I was missing or not thinking of. Thanks again!
Investor/Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 291 posts · 308 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna...I think you have to pay off this debt first. I'm just a firm believer in every investor getting their own personal financial house in order before moving on to investing. Not knowing your income of savings rate, but I'm guessing that if you throw this 15k into an investment you are going to be years away from paying off this CC debt. You could use the cash flow to help pay it down, but then you're risking your cap ex and maintenance repair budget for the investment property. I just don't think it's a great idea. Get debt free and then move on from there.
$24k in credit card debt! Get rid of that and do not add to it. You mentioned "just in credit cards..." I assume you have more debt that should be eliminated too.
Real Estate Agent · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
7y
@Aaron Wade
Well we also have 2 car loans, not much left to pay off on one and the other is about 16k. I will definitely work towards aggressively paying down the debt, thank you!
Real Estate Agent · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
7y
@Kiera Underwood
Unfortunately we can’t house-hack the home we currently own (discovered bigger pockets and investing after we already had our home). Thinking of selling and moving into a home we actually could house-hack. Thanks for the feedback!
What are the interest rates on your credit cards? If it was me, I'd pay off the credit cards as the interest rates are usually higher and I'd feel better not having the credit card debt.
Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 123 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna I would use it to pay down the credit card debt. Assuming regular CC rates of 20%+, the amount you'd be saving in interest every month might just be similar to the amount of cashflow you'd get from one or two doors.
Again assuming high interest rates, can you transfer the balance to a line or credit or get a promotional rate of low interest? That might help keep the costs from escalating while you work on paying it down aggressively.
Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna o threat rates on credit cards are high so I would pay them off ASAP. I would delay buying any properties u til you pay them off. Then put away them and stop using them unless you can pay them off each month and if you trust yourself to not get back into credit card debt again. Make sure you are living within your means before buying real estate or you will get yourself into a jam as a landlord when unexpected costs come up.
Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna hands down pay off the credit cards first and don’t carry a balance in the future (once the are 100% paid off). Having a good credit score with help you get lower interest rates which will have a direct impact on your cash flow if you are using leverage.
Folsom, CA · Member since 2018 · 134 posts · 100 votes
7y
@Larissa Luna me and my wife bought our home about two and a half years ago and love it. Unfortunately it’s our biggest liability. We made the decision to sell our home a little while back and house hack and just now got into contract on a duplex. I know it’s hard stepping back but maybe you guys could sell or rent your current home and buy a duplex. You’d be saving money and paying off debt at a much faster rate. Then in a year or so you can always buy another home that you want to live in.
Pay yourself first then figure out a palm to pay off the debt. It's there, there is nothing you can do. 15k is a go starting point, without knowing to much of your real estate strategy there's limit amount of info to help you