Need Advice For 1st Investment Property Wilmington, NC

Need Advice For 1st Investment Property Wilmington, NC

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone! My husband and I recently paid off all of our student loans and have saved up some money. We are ready to invest into a rental property in our hometown of Wilmington, NC. Our plan is to buy a home in the next 3 months, live in the home/fix it up until July, and then we are moving to South Korea for a year to teach English abroad. While we are abroad, we would rent out the property and our housing in Korea will be paid for by the Korean gov't. 

We have witnessed our hometown grow rapidly throughout the last few years especially. Lot of new homes are popping up and this is also a college town. We have a couple homes we are going to look at soon, but we are still new to this and I wanted an opinion before committing to anything. Please let me know your thoughts! Prices of homes in this area are pretty high, but rental rates are also high in many areas. 

Both of these options are 3 bedroom, 2 bath on opposite ends of the town. Both homes seem to have little repairs from what I've gathered so far, but will be looking into more details. I used a spreadsheet to calculate some numbers for 2 properties we are looking at - here is the basic info. 

Option 1: $170,000 - would put down 20% 

Mortgage: $663

Rent: $1,800 per month

Annual Cash Flow Before Taxes -- $10,500 

Option 2: $154,000 - put down 20%

Mortgage: $601

Rent: $1,500 per month

Annual Cash Flow Before Taxes -- $5,300

From all the research that I've done, people keep saying that they buy low. These homes are below average price for many of the areas here in Wilmington -- would you think it wise to go with a property such as these for a first time investor? We want to make our move into real estate, but are pretty reserved - this will be our first big purchase besides attending university. 

Thanks for all of your help!  

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe PrillamanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2017 · 441 posts · 462 votes
7y

Hi Loryn,

Make sure when you run your numbers that you include everything! Taxes, Insurance, Property Management, Vacancy, repairs, capital expenditures, will all eat away at your cash flow. Typically I Recommend 4 books before jumping into real estate. Rich Dad Poor Dad, Set For Life by Scott Trench ,Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, and How To Invest in Real Estate The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Eastate investing by Josh Dorkin and Brandon Turner. 

If you are planning on investing thousands of dollars make sure you invest in yourself first! 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe PrillamanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2017 · 441 posts · 462 votes
    7y

    Hi Loryn,

    Make sure when you run your numbers that you include everything! Taxes, Insurance, Property Management, Vacancy, repairs, capital expenditures, will all eat away at your cash flow. Typically I Recommend 4 books before jumping into real estate. Rich Dad Poor Dad, Set For Life by Scott Trench ,Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, and How To Invest in Real Estate The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Eastate investing by Josh Dorkin and Brandon Turner. 

    If you are planning on investing thousands of dollars make sure you invest in yourself first! 

  • Jason ColemanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 161 votes
    7y
    @Loryn Casas Hey Loryn, My wife and I live in Wilmington as well. You can't beat the beach! We have a couple of rental properties in Greensboro and we are currently rehabbing our live in flip/rental here in Wilmington. Depending on the area and the rehab costs I would choose the property that will produce the most cash annually. The difference in down payment is not that much and you will recoup that DP easily within a year. Of course this also depends on the area and the opportunity for appreciation. If you're up for it there are some opportunities to rehab homes damaged by Florence. My recommendation on your first home would be to purchase something that cash flows and only has 5-15k worth of work of repairs. Estimating rehab costs is tricky especially with all the contractors around here being full of work due to the storm. Please send me a message or give me a call if you ever want to talk real estate. We always like to speak with people who have real estate goals. Side note, I've heard a lot about these teaching opportunities in Korea, Chile, etc. It sounds like a pretty good deal if you do it right. I think you're on the right path. Real estate has opened many doors for my family just in the last couple of years. I'm also a licensed realtor so if you don't have a buyer's agent I'd be happy to help you out. Also I would join the Coastal ReIA group here. It has been a huge inspiration and source for knowledge. Good luck with everything! Jason Coleman
  • Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2011 · 232 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    Congrats on paying off the student loans! I'm originally from NC. I love Wilmington and think its a good market to be in. Looking at your numbers both deals seem to work. That said, I would go with the first property as the cashflow is nearly double unless the other deal is in a much more desirable neighborhood. Good luck!

  • Wes M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes
    7y

    Hi Loryn,

    As @Joe Prillaman stated, be sure to include everything in your numbers. On the MLS, good deals in the $150-200k range move really fast here. Anything that sits in that price range may have some underlying issues. I would like to continue to invest in Wilmingotn, but prices are certainly a factor. And I must admit the recent string of storms and high cost of wind and hail insurance doesn't help matters.

    Are there particular neighborhoods you have interest?

    Wes

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Loryn

    Have you considered a condo unit as your first property.  Normally a detached home is a better long term investment but with your travel plans a condo may fit better.  You will be absentee landlords when you go to Korea.  In a condo association, the Assocation manages the building and property so you do not have to worry about that.   Just a thought.  Good luck

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi Loryn, it's been a year or so since you posed this question. Just wondering how things have faired for you and your husband with the investment. I too live in Wilmington and am looking at purchasing my first investment with very similar numbers. Any pros/cons, things you would do differently, etc...? Purchasing in the right location, finding the right home, will the rent be covered...are all scenarios that play in my mind (and likely every first time investor). Thanks!

  • Steve GarnerPro Member
    Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    Pricing has gotten so high that I have  not been able to get the returns that I expect  so I’m waiting for the right opportunity to become available. Let me know if I can ever help you. steve

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.