Buy multi-unit for cashflow or hold out for BRRRR opportunity?

Buy multi-unit for cashflow or hold out for BRRRR opportunity?

Bel Air, MD · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 19 votes

Hi BP, I'm struggling with my next move and was hoping for some advice from the wealth of knowledge on these forums. After finding out about the BRRRR method, to me it seems like a no brainer as a great way to build up a nice buy and hold portfolio. I've been putting offers in and looking at tons of properties with not much luck (granted they are all MLS properties). I really would like to get a hold of my first rental ASAP. The market that I'm in offers plenty of opportunities for SFH and MFH that would cash flow (mostly C neighborhoods). Some even have opportunities to add value and increase rent, but not enough that would allow me to BRRRR. Is it worth it to spend my capital on a property that cash flows and has value add possibilities even if I will most likely not be able to pull my cash back out? Realistically you're not cash flowing until you have recouped your initial costs (Down payment + closing). I read a lot of forums where people are paying cash for properties some turnkey and some not and being happy with cash flow.. but you don't really cash flow until you've re-couped your initial costs correct? My plan is to sell this live in flip in May (after the 2 years to avoid capital gains) and try and house hack in another multi-family. My end goal is to accumulate a decent portfolio of SFH and MFH. So for someone with limited capital should I just hold out for something I can BRRRR or pull the trigger on a cash flowing property to get started ASAP? Thanks everyone.

1Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Ray I love the idea of house hacking+multifamily+BRRRR. Try to get a C property (due to low rents, vacancy and deferred maintenance) in a B to B+ area, live in one unit, fix the issues, get the work done, either refinance or just keep purchase loan and then rinse and repeat. We accidentally did that with the first two 4 unit properties we have. 4 plex is PERFECT as you can get the same 30 year mortgage as a single family, duplexes and triplex are good too, but the more units you have the better your cash flor will be.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 43 votes
    7y
    @Stephen Ray By far the easiest entrance to investing is house hacking a multi-unit. 3.5% -5% down payment minimum, lower primary residence rate, and let your tenants pay your mortgage, while you continue to save what you would otherwise be spending on rent/mortgage until you have enough for your next investment. You’ll need to live in it for at least a year, but then after that you could repeat the process, potentially with a refinance in between depending on whether you used FHA financing or conventional.
  • Bel Air, MD · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Richard Sherman @Matthew Roder Thanks a lot for the responses. I completely agree that the house hack is awesome. I guess what I was really asking is I'm stuck in this live in flip until May. I'd really like to pick something else before then. Should I hold out for something I'm able to BRRRR or grab something that has good cash flow and will actually (technically cash flow) after 4 years or so. And then in May when I sell this flip I can get into a multi-unit house hack. Thanks again guys

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    May is not very far!  Remember that the primary exclusion is at least 2 of the last 5 years...it does not have to be the MOST RECENT of those years.

    I would start looking, May will be here before you know it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.