Trying to get my feet wet...

Trying to get my feet wet...

Bay City, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote

Hey BP members!

I have a primary residence that I financed using a VA loan a few years ago. I'm want to start investing in rental property but don't quite know what to do with my house. I can't rent it while financed (VA rules) and it's not suitable for house hacking.

Its a 3/2 that I bought for 110K. Comps on the same street are roughly 130-140K. I have around 10K in equity paid so far. I haven't had it appraised yet, but I'm guessing there is potentially 20-40K in equity.

This is my first house and my inspector missed a few items, some of which have been corrected. I kick myself daily for not getting it inspected more thoroughly and not doing my own due diligence. I uncovered a multitude of issues (mainly cosmetic) but I have a couple of big ticket maintenance issues remaining - a slab drain leak (not supply) which was recently discovered and the home appears to need slight leveling (door jambs tight, small gap on brick outside). 

The house also needs freshening up (it's a time machine to 1982). I know its easier to do it all at once, but I don't think my wife would appreciate living in a construction zone. The first steps of any plan are often painful but I'm trying to mitigate what I can.

My question is, what's the best way to get started? Pay for repairs with cash, live in it, and cash out refi for a down payment on a rental? Cash out refi for the repairs and rehab and save for rental down payment? Muscle through and pay cash for repairs, rehab, and down payment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    @Ben Meier

      I'd pay cash for the major repairs and live with the cosmetic issues for the time being. Then save up your reserves for future deals. While you're saving I'd start setting yourself up. Identify markets you want to be in, analyze deals everyday and start looking for private and hard money lenders. Also look for lenders that will refinance your private/hard money deals without a seasoning period. Then when you're ready you'll come across the right deal.

      It's not a fast moving plan but that's what I'd do. Good luck!

    - Mike

  • Bay City, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Michael Kistner

    Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I know this is a marathon but I'm dying get started.

    Edit: I haven't figured out how to tag without quoting...

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    You can rent out a VA after you have occupied it for at least a year.
  • Bay City, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kerry Baird:
    You can rent out a VA after you have occupied it for at least a year.

     Good to know! I thought it had to be my primary residence until paid off or refinanced.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.