Found a Deal, Now to Fund the Deal

Found a Deal, Now to Fund the Deal

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Greetings BP People! My name is Jahleel Vester and I just graduated college a little over a month ago. I'll be starting my new job as a Loan Officer soon and I have been listening to BP for a little over a year. I have read a few books such as Rich Dad Poor Dad, ABC's of Real Estate Investing, (I'm working on David Greenes' book right now). I want to act on all of the REI education I have been filling myself with. I found a team of people (Realtor, Lawyer, Accountant, Contractors etc.) and I found a deal (4-plex) in my back yard. My goal is to get out of my parents house and house-hack this property however I need to find a way to pay for it. My brainstormed ideas are as follows:

Plan A) Get the down payment from a hard money lender and pay for the rest of the house with a traditional mortgage.

Plan B) Use seller financing, however I don't know too much about how to put together a solid seller financing proposal because there seems to be a number of ways to do it. 

Do any of you have any advice on how I can finance this deal? Does Plan A sound like a good way to go? Are there any better ways that I can finance this deal with no money down? (since I'm fresh out of college). Any other ideas on how to raise the money for the down payment?

Thanks so much for your help BP community! I'm looking forward to your responses.

Best, Jahleel Vester

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marty JohnstonPro Member
    Lender · Wauwatosa, WI · Member since 2016 · 571 posts · 203 votes
    8y

    @Jahleel Vester, Congrats on graduating and jumping into REI! In regards to your plans for getting your first property, Plan A will proof to be very difficult I believe... What you're describing is more so a 'gap funder' which are harder to really come by and at that, they most typically only lend on Non-owneroccupied properties. Since you'll be house hacking it, most won't like that aspect.

    THAT SAID! There are major pros to house hacking a property. Since it's a 4-plex, you can still get a residential loan. If this is your first time home purchase, you can come with less down (if you qualify for conventional, as a low as 3%. If you have to go FHA route, it'll be 3.5%. In both scenarios you'll be able to utilize a seller credit towards closing costs up, and a family member (if willing) is also able to grant you a "gift" for the down payment. Between those two things, you may be able to get 100% financing, or very close to. Obviously it all depends on how much you can be granted in both areas.

    Just my $0.02! Hope that helps. Seller Financing is of course, another excellent route to go - just sometimes a little more difficult to find in this market that's selling like hot cakes.

    Cheers,

    Marty J

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Marty J, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and for leaving some great advice I appreciate you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Jahleel Vester Plan A wont work for several reasons. First a traditional mortgage does not allow you to borrow the downpayment. Second your hard money lender will want their money back in under a year usually. You could get a private lender to lend you the purchase price but that’s going to be hard too. You’ll basically need a rich family member or friend to do that because experiences private money lenders won’t do that for someone with no experience Seller financing can work if the owner agrees to it. If they do it can be whatever terms you two agree on. This will likely also be difficult in this sellers market unless they need to sell quickly for whatever reason. By far your easiest way to do this is to either get the money gifted to you by someone or to save it yourself and buy it with your own money. That’s not the sexy or appealing answer but that’s the easiest way.
  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thats pretty straight forward and clear, thanks for responding  @Caleb Heimsoth!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.