Buying my first Apartment Complex

Buying my first Apartment Complex

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes

Hey guys,

I'm a currently a rehabber that wants to buy and hold (and reposition) my first apartment complex. I've read about it ever since I was just in my teens and fell in love with the idea of economies of scale. I want to ask anyone that current owns or owned apartments HOW DID YOU BUY YOUR FIRST APARTMENT? I've crunched numbers for too long now and want to take the leap to Just Do It but want to hear what some of the more experienced ones have to say.

ANY advice would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all!

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

You can read and study forever, but nothing beats getting your hands dirty. Here are some pieces of advice that I wish I had when I bought my first apartment complex:

1. Don't rely too much of pro formas and fancy models. Nothing beats actual data. Repositioning is great, but don't fall in love with your ability to increase things too much. Be conservative!

2. Don't buy in the ghetto...it isn't worth it

3. The financing is KEY. Don't finance something you intend to hold long-term with money that balloons, adjusts, bubbles, etc. in a few years

4. Work with someone you KNOW can close the loan. There are a lot of pretenders in the CRE finance market that will promise you a lot, but can't deliver

5. Interview competent property managers in the area to make sure the owner is distressed and the property isn't distressed due to the market. You can't really do much with the market!

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    I use a broker to find financing. BMC Capital in Houston is excellent and KC Capital in Austin is a close 2nd.

    Bryan - Is there a specific person there that you use so that maybe I can give you credit for the referral? I plan on calling within the next few days in order to establish a relationship and proceed with a project.

    Thank you.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Greg Kunard at BMC Capital is great.

    I would also give Darryl Dahlen in this thread a crack at your loan. Darryl, one of my partners, and I had a conversation several months ago about lending and he is a very experienced broker.

    Kevin Yeats, another BP nation broker is also a great contact.

    Maybe you can post the type of loan you are seeking in this thread or another so that the BP folks can help to advise you on the best product for your purchase.

    If you PM me I can get you Greg's phone number.

  • Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
    15y

    Bryan, thank you for your vote of confidence. I truly appreciate that.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Tony, have you advanced in your quest of buying an apartment complex? What else have you learned?

  • Accountant · MN · Member since 2008 · 142 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    Ever thought of adding your own cap to the note with options? You can collar the rate to offset the cost of the calls most of the time getting $0 cost protection. Anyone ever used this strategy on your CRE loans?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Yeap....That has been discussed a few times Phil...here is the most lenghty thread on the subject I know of:

    Using Futures Contracts To Hedge ARMs

    I know what you are talking about it a bit different, but some of the same holes apply from the thread above.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    Tony, have you advanced in your quest of buying an apartment complex? What else have you learned?

    Hey Jon, sorry I never saw this question. I actually do have an 8 unit under contract right now in Tampa. I'm buying it for 155k, down 40k, seller carrying 115k @ 4%, 15 year amort, due in 10. its grossing 43,300 right now and i of course plan on raising it after a few improvements.

  • Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
    15y

    Congrats Tony! It looks like your hard word has paid off. Please keep us posted and let us know when this deal closes.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y

    Hey, thanks Darryl! I luckily didn't need to apply for a loan with this seller. Otherwise, I would of called you! lol thanks again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Did you go ghetto or did you buy a nice one?

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y

    Oh I had to go ghetto to get those numbers. The nice ones (my first choice was near Univ. of Central FL) were offering 5%-8% caps and that wasn't cutting it for me. I'm honestly perfectly comfortable with ghetto properties. I grew up in that type of environment so it's no big deal. I probably blend in just as well today!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I hope it works out for you Tony...we have an apartment complex in the ghetto and it is a constant problem. Half of it actually burned in a fire a few days ago...luckily nobody was hurt.

    Ugh!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y

    Wow Bryan, sorry to hear about that. Please tell me your insurance policy covered that.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Yeah....we have insurance to cover it, but I am sure it will be a PITA getting everything repaired.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y

    hearing about this reminded me of when i was living alone @ an apartment in southern ca. i was trying to deep fry some jumbo shrimp and out of no where, i looked back and there was fire from the pan on the stove caressing the ceiling. I grabbed the pan, turned to the sink, with the fire still going and poured it all down the drain. I'll never forget how i felt at that moment. Its unbelievable that i didn't burn the whole building down.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Yeap...ours was a grease fire. That is one of the 3453454 things I get to deal with next week ;-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.