SFH Rental - Do you charge sewer, garbage and water?

SFH Rental - Do you charge sewer, garbage and water?

Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 6 votes

For those experienced investors with SFH rentals, do you topically cover garbage, water and sewer? I know that investors typically cover those expenses on multi-families, however not sure about SFH. I have yet seen a SFH investment that makes sense with I account for those expenses in my area.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Hi @Victor Andrade I imagine you'd need to do whatever makes you competitive in your market. Here in Metro Atlanta, tenants expect to pay for those expenses directly, so we as landlords do not cover them.

The one exception I can think of would be condos, where the monthly fee includes water and sewer, but we don't lease condos (for that reason and a whole bunch of others).

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Victor Andrade I imagine you'd need to do whatever makes you competitive in your market. Here in Metro Atlanta, tenants expect to pay for those expenses directly, so we as landlords do not cover them.

    The one exception I can think of would be condos, where the monthly fee includes water and sewer, but we don't lease condos (for that reason and a whole bunch of others).

  • Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Makes sense - thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Really depends on an area but for most SFR everything is in the tenants name and therefore they get the bills directly and pay it themselves
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    I put sewer and water in my name, but I'm set up to be notified of the bill is delinquent, which is common in my area. Garbage is handled by the municipality and covered in my property taxes, so I pay that.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Edit that.... I put sewer and water in the tenants name.
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Sewer and trash is billed back to tenants by me. Everything else is in their names.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    8y

    Ditto what the others have said (usually tenants pay their own utilities), and require them doing so in the lease (especially if the house has gas on top of electric and water). Check local rental listings to see what other SFH rentals are including or not including, and/or call the number & ask.

    Also, check with the utility companies to see if they offer a "landlord" account system, so if/when utilities are disconnected the service & billing roll back over to you.  You'll know if the tenants are in trouble, and it's easier on turnover to keep services on for repairs, etc.  No costs for setting up a new account for a month every time someone moves out.

  • Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    That was a good a idea, I checked listings and called the utility companies and it looks like you are all correct. Tenants take care of all utilities for SFH in my area. However, for small multifamily typically the landlord pays for water and sewer. That will make a difference in analyzing deals now, thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    SFH-if they use it they pay the bill. In our county tenants who were supposed to pay trash often are delinquent and city has to put liens on 1000s of homes every month. In this case landlord pays and include in the rent. Water can run $1000+ easily a month in our area, you want to them to pay.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.