Invest in Real Estate or Pay Off Current Mortgage??

Invest in Real Estate or Pay Off Current Mortgage??

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
Hello Everyone! I'm relatively new to real estate investing, currently renovating my residence in the Cincinnati (Oakley) area. I had my plan and strategy all worked out - complete a few value add projects on my home by end of May, refinance, ARV opens up about $90k in equity. My wife and I then move; the current house (SFR) rents easily, $400 monthly cash flow. The equity along with my $100k in personal cash provide means to get stared on my path to financial freedom. I was actively shopping for a 'fixer upper' multi family in one of our local emerging neighborhoods, when out of nowhere, a Dave Ramsey fanatic walks into my life. By the way, I have a full time sales job that consumes most of my time... therefore, I was looking for a place that would require basic lipstick and makeup value adds as opposed to major renovation. As you'd expect, the Dave Ramsey guy is telling me to pay off the remaining $110k on my 3.75% FHA loan with my cash ASAP. Then sell the house. Use the cash, maybe $215k to by me and my wife's new home, then save fanatically for my first rental. All cash, no debt... A little background on him - he's been in real estate his whole life, has owned over a hundred properties, got hit hard in 2008 (due to his debts), but still a millionaire, financially free, and of course, debt free. His resume makes it difficult to question his advice!! I'm 29 yrs old, have a decent nest egg growing in a 401k..... what do I do?? Any advice would be much appreciated!
0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · NH · Member since 2016 · 134 posts · 61 votes
8y

@Zach Jacob, I'm not an expert on the subject, but have talked extensively with others about this very thing. My opinion is that this is really a personal choice and a factor of you and your wife's outlook on risk vs. opportunity.  I believe that experts can make a case to go one way or the other.  If you own things free and clear, then you're obviously not over-leveraged (or leveraged at all!) and you can more easily weather hard times if/when they come.  However, there is an opportunity cost when you leave money sunk into your property and it's not really returning anything other than appreciation (and likewise depreciation if/when it happens).  I lean toward the idea of never paying more than 50% equity into something if I can utilize than money somewhere else.  Obviously, high percentage credit cards are good to get rid of, but these other areas are up to individual desires and timelines.  I'm 47 and only recently started investing in real estate after a successful career as an Engineer (still my day job!).  I'm not going to spend all my time saving and paying down my personal residence, because the sooner I create another asset (generating passive income), the longer I can build returns from it.  Again, that's a personal philosophy and one many people get from their first reading of Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  I've heard Ramsey bash guys on one side of this equation and other equally-successful guys bash his thinking as if it's got to be one way or the other.  Good luck either way!  I think you will be successful based on your status and mentality!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Also to add - I understand the math side of it, the returns on a buy and hold will (should) be much better than 3.75%. His theory is obviously more of a long term, snowball effect of cash. It appears to make sense...?
  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y

    @Zach Jacob,

    Eh. Dave Ramsey and real estate investor are usually like oil and water. If this guy is a millionaire that may be why he is able to make it work. For the people trying to get to that level, though, in the so called growth phase of their wealth building strategy, leverage is a powerful powerful multiplier. Yes you have to be careful with it and understand what you are doing, but personally I think you will be hamstringing yourself if you follow that strategy. Sounds like this guy got in over his head and got burned so now he is born again. I highly doubt his situation applies to you. Heed his advice, but do what is best for you and your situation.

  • Investor · NH · Member since 2016 · 134 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    @Zach Jacob, I'm not an expert on the subject, but have talked extensively with others about this very thing. My opinion is that this is really a personal choice and a factor of you and your wife's outlook on risk vs. opportunity.  I believe that experts can make a case to go one way or the other.  If you own things free and clear, then you're obviously not over-leveraged (or leveraged at all!) and you can more easily weather hard times if/when they come.  However, there is an opportunity cost when you leave money sunk into your property and it's not really returning anything other than appreciation (and likewise depreciation if/when it happens).  I lean toward the idea of never paying more than 50% equity into something if I can utilize than money somewhere else.  Obviously, high percentage credit cards are good to get rid of, but these other areas are up to individual desires and timelines.  I'm 47 and only recently started investing in real estate after a successful career as an Engineer (still my day job!).  I'm not going to spend all my time saving and paying down my personal residence, because the sooner I create another asset (generating passive income), the longer I can build returns from it.  Again, that's a personal philosophy and one many people get from their first reading of Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  I've heard Ramsey bash guys on one side of this equation and other equally-successful guys bash his thinking as if it's got to be one way or the other.  Good luck either way!  I think you will be successful based on your status and mentality!

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    You want to start a real estate journey  - start it.

    To be in line with Dave - have an emergency fund in case the tenant will not pay or some repairs will needed. Look if you can support two properties from your salary. 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 157 votes
    8y

    If I was in your position, I'd look to rent the Oakley house..... shouldn't be difficult to get young professionals, or grad students from Xavier. And if you've been in the house for more than a year, you could refi/cashout and do another househack, it appears your in a financial position to easily refi and househack again..... Get into another 30 yr 3.5-4.5 % interest loan with 3.5% down payment..... and you still have probably over 150k to play with on an investment property purchase. I don't think this one is that difficult if you're looking to grow your portfolio. 

  • Contractor · Ft Mitchell, KY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    This is something that a lot of people go back and forth on. It's a personal decision.  At the end of the day it's based on you and how you want to grow, some people choose the steady pace and pay off debt quickly and some people leverage the debt to grow quickly. Cincinnati is a good place to invest when you know what you're doing and if you don't there are plenty of people who do and they're more than willing to help. We did the same thing in the beginning of our real estate venture. Rented, fixed it up some, used the equity to finance purchase, used cash to purchase property. For us it was better to keep the mortgage to help build our credit for future deals, but also because we wanted to buy property and get to a specific cash flow. The plan is to maintain for two years pay off a large percentage of the debt then repeat the process. What are your plans over the next 6 months? The next year? Knowing exactly where you want to go will help you determine what steps you should take now and what strategy to follow. What areas of Cincinnati are you looking at for your next purchase? 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Zach Jacob:
    Hello Everyone!

    I'm relatively new to real estate investing, currently renovating my residence in the Cincinnati (Oakley) area. I had my plan and strategy all worked out - complete a few value add projects on my home by end of May, refinance, ARV opens up about $90k in equity. My wife and I then move; the current house (SFR) rents easily, $400 monthly cash flow. The equity along with my $100k in personal cash provide means to get stared on my path to financial freedom. I was actively shopping for a 'fixer upper' multi family in one of our local emerging neighborhoods, when out of nowhere, a Dave Ramsey fanatic walks into my life. By the way, I have a full time sales job that consumes most of my time... therefore, I was looking for a place that would require basic lipstick and makeup value adds as opposed to major renovation.

    As you'd expect, the Dave Ramsey guy is telling me to pay off the remaining $110k on my 3.75% FHA loan with my cash ASAP. Then sell the house. Use the cash, maybe $215k to by me and my wife's new home, then save fanatically for my first rental. All cash, no debt...

    A little background on him - he's been in real estate his whole life, has owned over a hundred properties, got hit hard in 2008 (due to his debts), but still a millionaire, financially free, and of course, debt free. His resume makes it difficult to question his advice!!

    I'm 29 yrs old, have a decent nest egg growing in a 401k..... what do I do??

    Any advice would be much appreciated!

     Dave Ramsay is a brilliant guy, but contrary to Dave's way of thinking, all debt is not bad.  If your debt can make you money with a very low interest rate, then do it.  Along with Dave's way of thinking though, have a significant emergency fund. Don't spend all of your cash to dispose of a debt if the debt is still paying you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lanai City, HI · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 70 votes
    8y
    Do what you want to do, be passionate about whatever you decide and chances of it working will skyrocket. You’re only 29, you’ll be 59 when it’s paid off... by your tenants. Rents will be at least double what they are now and cash flow will be a nice retirement cushion. If you were 59 now, I’d say pay off your own mortgage, but time is on your side. Make sure it cash flows, is in an area you know, and you run it like a business. Good luck!
  • Cost Segregation Specialist · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 204 posts · 168 votes
    8y

    I'd say take Dave Ramsey with a grain of salt. He's a smart guy and understands how money works, but most people he counsels on his show have a lot of stupid debt, not smart debt. There's a big difference. Stupid debt is a sunk cost such as having 2 cars on 6 year payments that you can't afford. You're never getting that money back. Smart debt is in assets that pay for themselves and then some allowing you to invest in real financial freedom. 

    It's tough to say what to do or what not to do because every person's situation is different. You have to look at the opportunity cost, what's the best return on your cash all things considered? How long are you going to hold, how much interest are you going to pay over that period and perhaps most importantly is the cash going toward something that you have to pay for or something that will pay you? You have to pay for your personal residence while an investment property will pay you.

    Sounds like your new friend was a bit over-leveraged in the crash and paid for it in spades. Learn from his experience, but don't assume you'll make his mistakes. Be smart and look at the numbers. Plan for the downturn because it will come, but don't let that scare you out of starting. Play your cards right and you'll be prepared for it and be able to weather the storm. 

    Remember the only people who lose money in a crash are those that sell. Hold on and the market will return just like it always has. You just need to be smart about it and go from there.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    you need leverage to scale however I would use cash flow to accelerate pay downs on your rentals your not going to get 3.75 on investment property debt.

    so if they are making 100 to 200 a month and you have a good job I see no reason not to snowball those amounts.

    but I do think you have to BRRRR and snowball the two is where the wealth generation and scale meets..

    as you get older you will appreciate advice of being cautious with debt.

    you need to value add to create equity.. 20 to 25% equity in markets that historically have not or do not appreciate is really no equity at all if you were forced to liquidate.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Owning everything free and clear is not investing it is hoarding. The returns are only 50% of what leverage could produce.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 474 posts · 580 votes
    8y

    I believe @Brandon Turner used this example in his Rental Property book, but it is a great and simple way to look at leverage. Would you rather have 1 paid off 100k rental property that cash flows 1000 per month, or would you rather have 5 20% down 100k rental properties that each cash flowed 200 per month? Same exact amount invested, same return. Clearly you have to manage more potentially with 5 homes, more risk, more potential expenses, more time, etc. However, the math is clear, your net worth would literally be at a minimum be 5x better when these notes are paid off. Assuming zero appreciation, lets say you bought these in Oakley 10 years ago, your networth would be double or triple that 5x, so 15x better than 1 home. The tax benefits would be immensely better from being leveraged. Not to mention, 20% down is not highly risky, at least to me. 

    All in all, my point is this. Leverage when done correctly, having proper cash reserves, etc. Is undoubtedly the best option for growing wealth in real estate. You can invest with less risk by using all cash, you can also have less risk by investing in non real estate assets. The difference is, you have some control of that risk in real estate. Ultimately, you are the only one who can decide what amount of risk makes sense for your life, but there is no argument of which strategy, mathematically, is a better investment. 

    Best of luck either way! 

    Joe

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great information, I appreciate everyone's feedback! 

    It's easy to understand the math when comparing APR's and return rates, I suppose it all comes down to commitment to a strategy and risk tolerance. My guy was obviously over leveraged at the WRONG time, and got burnt. Ramsey's strategy will surely work for those with zero risk tolerance, but it's certainly not the only way to financial freedom. I've decided to focus on the learning as much as I can about lending/financing options so I'm well equipped when opportunities come. Then of course focus on the long term strategy, don't scale too quickly through leverage, budget, pay down debt quickly, then eventually see the cash flow snowball once these properties are paid off.

    Thanks again, everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.