Rehab without a GC in Florida

Rehab without a GC in Florida

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello all, 

I am a long time lurker of the BP forums, but first time poster.  I tried looking around for information on my question, but haven't been able to find a suitable answer.  I have faith that the BP community will be able to help!  Without further ado my question:  How can a non-contractor get their start in Florida?  

I am new to Florida and thus, new to the state's rules.  The information that I have received from the local permit office seems to state that I will need a contractor to perform all the work on an investment property.  This doesn't make much sense though.  I understand the need for a contractor for the trade work (electrical, plumbing, etc.), but why would I need to pull a permit and/or have a contractor just to replace flooring, fix drywall, update a bathroom, etc (you know the normal jobs that go along with a rehab)?  I Hopefully I misunderstood the permit office.  I'd like to avoid having to learn all of this the hard way after I have already purchased a property.  So, do any of you have an experience rehabing houses in FL?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

0Reply
28 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    @Ross Wendt Hiring a GC to pull a building permit is always recommended when rehabbing a property. This avoids potential issues with the municipality. There are some parts of the rehab which probably do not require a GC such as painting, patching up walls, etc but This is something you can discuss with the GC when they pull the permit to start work or you can probably pull a Homeowner permit directly with the municipality if you are the owner of the property. Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Jack V. Ospina Thanks for the information, but I have a few follow up questions.  What permit would the GC pull in the beginning?  I didn't think there was a general "I'm going to start work" permit.  If I hired a GC would I still be able to perform the work, assuming that it isn't trade work (electrical, plumbing, etc)?  

    Based on what the county permit office told me, I would not be able to pull a homeowner permit.  Their reasoning was that I was not planning on living in the property.  Is that an incorrect statement/maybe I misunderstood what they were telling me?

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    An “owner permit” is only available to an owner occupant and usually carries a one year resale restriction if you get one.
  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    OK, thank you for the clarification.  So how does anyone flip in Florida without a GC performing 100% of the work?  This is assuming it is all cosmetic (flooring, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, etc)?  I don't have a problem hiring a license contractor for the bigger stuff, but I am totally capable of performing quality work in the cosmetic department. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    To my knowledge you don't need permits for things like you mentioned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.