I have ~$500K to invest. Looking for advice on this strategy

I have ~$500K to invest. Looking for advice on this strategy

Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 46 votes

Hello fellow BP’ers! Been lurking for a while as I learn and formulate some strategies. I currently live in the Bay Area and work at a tech company. My husband has decided to go to law school out of state (still waiting to hear back on where he gets in), which will mean losing his portion of our income and possibly cutting mine substantially since my out-of-state job options are limited. The strategy I’m currently thinking through is selling our home and aggressively investing the $500K proceeds in OOS rentals (and possibly also a new personal residence); buying as many for all cash as possible, and possibly using debt for some, with the goal of replacing his income and the hit to mine while he’s in school. I have a basic understanding of how to evaluate properties and how to calculate operational costs, and the risk of investing OOS, etc. What I need more help with is how to come up with the formula of the right mix and timing of all cash deals and mortgaged deals, starting with my investment number and cash flow goals. I have a couple markets in mind but would appreciate anyone’s advice on this plan, markets and any insights or gotchas. Thank you!

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Cori,

    Very exciting position to be in.  You have so many options.  I like to buy with cash, only borrow if needed (and leverage light).  I focus on buying where I can add value, I love empty sfrs or mfrs with a lot of empty units.  It takes some looking, but I offer at 50 times my estimated fair market rent minus rehab (ex:  if I think an 8plex will rent for $4k after  $20k rehab, I'll offer $4k x 50 - $20k = $180k.  I get turned down a lot on usually only get the stinky ones with unpleasant cleanup, but that pays off.  I'll creep up a few thousand if needed too.

    Since you're coming from an extreme high priced market, you'll need to calibrate yourself to the new local market.  Investors will hear "Bay area" and try to give you retail prices for sure.

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    @Chris Sellers: Thanks for the reply and for sharing your approach. I never even thought about how "Bay Area" might affect negotiations. Great point. 

    I know my idea of buying with cash is slightly controversial since it brings down my ROI. My concern is wanting the most cash flow right now, but maybe I'm still not evaluating the leverage option the right way. Would love to hear yours and others' opinions on this. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.