Advice for a Newbie looking for Long Distance Investment

Advice for a Newbie looking for Long Distance Investment

Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes

Hello BP friends. I would like to introduce myself, since I haven't really sat down and actually done this in the past, although I am actively reading posts on the forum. My name is Rose from southern CA--the Inland Empire. I first became interested in REI in 2007. I remember reading the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki while taking my break at work (my career then). Like many, life happens and time flew by, but during the past 10 years, I found myself revisiting the idea of REI, esp when I became unemployed in 2014. I was actively educating myself, I had even attended several seminars in different cities like Fortune Builders, etc. I came so close to signing up to their programs--and for those of you who knows, they are definitely not cheap. Looking back I'm glad I didn't spend money on those programs, because just last year when I reconnected with an old pal, she mentioned BP and recommended I listen to the podcasts. Going back to 2014 when I was unemployed and actively educating myself in REI, I actually ended up getting a full-time job at the end of that year, so with the job demand, REI was then again put on hold. 2015 was a very rough year for me. Never had I face the fear of losing my house (my very first biggest personal investment) because the job where I was employed full-time did not work out. While looking for another job, I decided to go back to college (so my focused on REI was again put aside). With God's grace, in 2016 I got hired at one of the hardest companies to get into, but as a part-time employee. I also decided to finally sell my house to get out of the financial hole I was in. Last year, in 2017, I was offered a full-time position at the company where I am still currently working for. I had also sold my (first) house in July of last year and purchased a new house (downgraded from 3000 sq ft to 1600 sq ft--but new construction home). Last year was when I also first heard of BP from an old friend, and I started listening to podcasts (tons of information!), and tried to educate myself more than before--I am more focused now that things finally started looking up for me.

From the sell of my first home, paying off all my debts, I was still able to keep $30k. With that said, my credit is now back up to almost 800, debt-free, and have $30k to use to buy an investment property. I am looking to acquire my first REI out of state. Listening to podcasts and with all my research, I am highly convinced that multi-family is the way to go. I am looking to start with duplex, triplex, or even perhaps fourplex. I would obviously need to get a loan, and figuring out the numbers I can only go up to $100k--I have just enough for a down payment with that amount. The information from podcasts and research can be very overwhelming! Just when I thought my focused would be on a multifamily, I would hear podcasts stating SFH would be a better route. I had even considered going to a turnkey company for my first investment. I considered Morris Invest, but after reading the posts about the PM they use, Oceanpointe, I reconsidered. Plus, from my understanding, MI mainly just deal with cash buyers. So one of the biggest difficulties I have now is figuring out which market to invest in. I am so afraid in messing up on my first deal, because $30k doesn't come by very often (not for me, at least--and considering the financial hole I just got out of)! I am very much aware that trials and mistakes are part of the whole process, I hear that often, but I am looking for any advice that you folks can possibly provide me as a newbie. Knowing I can only go up to $100k (financing needed), having $30k put aside for down payment, closing costs, and such, still looking at purchasing a multifamily (not a war zone).... what markets do you think I should focus on and do more research? Or perhaps what turnkey companies would you recommend?

As far as lending, I heard getting a loan is not easy. Before I look for local lenders (and property management companies, I first need to figure out what market to invest in. Just last night, I read a post stating that multifamilies in Indiana, IN is not a good way to go, better to invest in SFH if looking in Indiana. Someone did recommend KC vs IN for multifamilies. Any thoughts on that? I also came across LimaOne Capital and Bridgewell Capital for lending. Has anyone used them before? And do they cover just certain areas/states, or are they nationwide lenders? Excuse the long post, but with all the information I'm getting and not knowing what I need to know, I feel like I'm falling into analysis paralysis. So if anyone can please help out, I would highly appreciate it! Feel free to also send me a message. I am determined to acquire my first rental this year, just a newbie needing guidance/mentor. Thank you in advance. Happy investing.

4Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

Ohhhkay. First suggestion...slooww down. You're likely putting yourself into analysis paralysis because of how many things you are pondering at once. No doubt, all of those things play into the equation and have to be dealt with, but not all at once. 

One idea- list out each "thing" you need to figure out. MFR vs SFR, financing options, turnkey vs. non-turnkey, market options, etc. Then order them in from most broad decision to most specific. For instance, figuring out what to do for financing is very much putting the cart before the horse if you don't even know what state you are going to be buying in.

My suggestion would be: decide turnkey vs. non-turnkey (because those two paths will form completely different to-do lists), and then narrow it from there. There are a ton more good options outside of Morris. I've always bought turnkeys and I work with them regularly and there's lots of good companies out there that would be options for you (so don't fret on who to work with, just decide if you want turnkey vs. non-turnkey first).

For MFR vs. SFR, what are your specific reasons for wanting to go the MFR route? It sounds like you're just thinking that because so many people have said that's the way to go. MFRs can be great, but they are in much shorter supply these days, they certainly aren't necessarily always the best way to go, and any MFR you get for $100k is most likely going to be super sketch. But let me know your specific reasons for thinking MFR is the way to go and then I can speak more to it.

While nothing is guaranteed in REI, the absolute best way to protect your $30k is to know the exact risk factors, and mitigations for those risk factors, with whichever route you choose. Most people dive into stuff having no real idea where the specific risks lie, and therefore they don't see them when they start happening, and then they don't know the mitigations for them.

Hope that helps, slow down, things will be easier that way, and reach out anytime if you need any help!

See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Firstly I’d avoid Morris invest. Secondly most of those lenders are nationwide but will have higher rates than conventional lenders. All those markets are pretty similar, what are you looking for? Cash flow? Midwest and south markets are best for that
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rose Torio:

    Hello BP friends. I would like to introduce myself, since I haven't really sat down and actually done this in the past, although I am actively reading posts on the forum. My name is Rose from southern CA--the Inland Empire. I first became interested in REI in 2007. I remember reading the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki while taking my break at work (my career then). Like many, life happens and time flew by, but during the past 10 years, I found myself revisiting the idea of REI, esp when I became unemployed in 2014. I was actively educating myself, I had even attended several seminars in different cities like Fortune Builders, etc. I came so close to signing up to their programs--and for those of you who knows, they are definitely not cheap. Looking back I'm glad I didn't spend money on those programs, because just last year when I reconnected with an old pal, she mentioned BP and recommended I listen to the podcasts. Going back to 2014 when I was unemployed and actively educating myself in REI, I actually ended up getting a full-time job at the end of that year, so with the job demand, REI was then again put on hold. 2015 was a very rough year for me. Never had I face the fear of losing my house (my very first biggest personal investment) because the job where I was employed full-time did not work out. While looking for another job, I decided to go back to college (so my focused on REI was again put aside). With God's grace, in 2016 I got hired at one of the hardest companies to get into, but as a part-time employee. I also decided to finally sell my house to get out of the financial hole I was in. Last year, in 2017, I was offered a full-time position at the company where I am still currently working for. I had also sold my (first) house in July of last year and purchased a new house (downgraded from 3000 sq ft to 1600 sq ft--but new construction home). Last year was when I also first heard of BP from an old friend, and I started listening to podcasts (tons of information!), and tried to educate myself more than before--I am more focused now that things finally started looking up for me.

    From the sell of my first home, paying off all my debts, I was still able to keep $30k. With that said, my credit is now back up to almost 800, debt-free, and have $30k to use to buy an investment property. I am looking to acquire my first REI out of state. Listening to podcasts and with all my research, I am highly convinced that multi-family is the way to go. I am looking to start with duplex, triplex, or even perhaps fourplex. I would obviously need to get a loan, and figuring out the numbers I can only go up to $100k--I have just enough for a down payment with that amount. The information from podcasts and research can be very overwhelming! Just when I thought my focused would be on a multifamily, I would hear podcasts stating SFH would be a better route. I had even considered going to a turnkey company for my first investment. I considered Morris Invest, but after reading the posts about the PM they use, Oceanpointe, I reconsidered. Plus, from my understanding, MI mainly just deal with cash buyers. So one of the biggest difficulties I have now is figuring out which market to invest in. I am so afraid in messing up on my first deal, because $30k doesn't come by very often (not for me, at least--and considering the financial hole I just got out of)! I am very much aware that trials and mistakes are part of the whole process, I hear that often, but I am looking for any advice that you folks can possibly provide me as a newbie. Knowing I can only go up to $100k (financing needed), having $30k put aside for down payment, closing costs, and such, still looking at purchasing a multifamily (not a war zone).... what markets do you think I should focus on and do more research? Or perhaps what turnkey companies would you recommend?

    As far as lending, I heard getting a loan is not easy. Before I look for local lenders (and property management companies, I first need to figure out what market to invest in. Just last night, I read a post stating that multifamilies in Indiana, IN is not a good way to go, better to invest in SFH if looking in Indiana. Someone did recommend KC vs IN for multifamilies. Any thoughts on that? I also came across LimaOne Capital and Bridgewell Capital for lending. Has anyone used them before? And do they cover just certain areas/states, or are they nationwide lenders? Excuse the long post, but with all the information I'm getting and not knowing what I need to know, I feel like I'm falling into analysis paralysis. So if anyone can please help out, I would highly appreciate it! Feel free to also send me a message. I am determined to acquire my first rental this year, just a newbie needing guidance/mentor. Thank you in advance. Happy investing.

    Welcome aboard. Good luck to you & i'll see you around the forums.

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth Hi Caleb. Thanks for the quick response. As to your question, yes... definitely cash flow. I'm not much into appreciation, although that would be nice. I do need the cash flow to show as income for my future investments. However, I read that to even consider rental as income, you need at least 2 years of landlord experience..? Are you familiar if this is correct? As far as midwest and south markets, any cities in particular that you could recommend so I can start doing my research in those markets? 

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Thank you @James Wise  :-) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    I personally invest in Memphis and Cleveland but there are plenty of other cities that are good too including KC, Indianapolis, etc.  

    I don’t think you need 2 years.  It just depends on the lender.  My latest lender counts my rent towards my income and I’m not at 2 years 

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    The once in Memphis and Cleveland, are they multi families or single family homes? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    All single family. Cleveland is better for multifamily than Memphis.
  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Rose Torio

    If your goal is cashflow then the areas you’ve mentioned in the Midwest are great. 

    If you want an abundance of options for small multi family AND cashflow then I’d look at Cleveland and Milwaukee. That’s what I did. I ended up buying in Cleveland and have been smiling ever since.

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth Is there a reason you don't, or haven't, invested in multifamilies?

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Brian Garlington Oh nice! How many properties do you have now all together? Did you ever use a turnkey company starting out, or you bought them yourself and just use property management companies? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Rose Torio I just find it simpler to do single family to start.  You have less turnover and typically attract slightly more quality tenants.  

    I’m also only in my early 20s, so I’ve got lots of time.  When I jump to commercial in my mid to late 20s I’m going to jump in with an 8-16 unit building 

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth I def agree with you about SFH.

    In your early 20's and already investing, huh? That's awesome! I wish I would have started sooner. I def need to up my game. How many props do you have total now?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Rose Torio I own two, property 3 closes in a couple weeks.  

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth that's great! May I ask how you're financing them?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Rose Torio sure.  They’re all 20 percent down conventional.  I plan to go to ten doing that and then switch to commercial.  

    Feel free to Pm me if you have any other questions 

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Rose, if you only have $30k you would do better long term to buy a $100k home as opposed to a $100k orxless duplex. The single family home will be in a better area with better tenant quality. The duplex though the cash flow looks better, it will not statistically perform like it should long term. Lower quality tenants, higher vacancy is what you can mostly expect. 

    Good luck 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Hello Rose, 

    I am also investing out of state. I am right now in the process of buying property in Lafayette, Indiana. My best advise would be, after you decided where to invest,  to connect with a good property management company first. They are going to be taking care of your property. They can give advise on which area to buy, help you analyze your prospects, and prevent you from buying bad properties.

    Here is a good example: Last week I found a "great deal" on hubzu.com, 2/1 1,100 sqft, 1206 S 18th St La Fayette, IN 47905, starting bid is $40,000, my PM said it could rent for $750. I was really excited so, I went ahead and put a bid for $40,000. Next day I decided to ask my PM if she could go and check the interior of the house, just in case. She did and, lo and behold, there was a broken pipe and the house was flooding. I did not purchase the property and it is back on hubzu.com. 

    Build relationships first then buy. 

    I chose Indiana for the better property taxes and I chose Lafayette because it is a smaller community and I personally like that better. 

    Good luck with everything, Rose.

    Natalia

  • Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 122 votes
    8y

    @Rose Torio  Welcome Rose.  Stay focused and concise!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    8y

    I bought two duplexes in the midwest last year that were both under 100k. They cashflow well, but it's super high risk. My strategy is pretty much the textbook version of what not to do as a new investor. Though I can travel whenever I need to and I spent a couple months rehabbing and building relationships in my market so I did it anyway. I went into my first deal being mentally prepared to lose it all! But many investors do lose out big time doing what you're talking about.

    I always advise people looking at a similar strategy to fly out there and spend some time on the ground. You're saving tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars by going out of state, so spend a couple hundred on at least a weekend trip. You surely won't regret it. 

    Might be wise to save up a bit more before spending that 30k. If you dump it all into a conventional loan, you won't have anything to back you up when something inevitably goes wrong. A home warranty might be a good option so you don't get hit with any massive bills your first year :)   

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Curt Davis Ah, thanks so much for the advice. This is why I am back and forth trying to decide between multifamily and SFH. I was almost certain about purchasing multifamily, but I can see why you would recommend SFH. Thanks again!

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I would suggest buying multi family of the minimum rent is in the $900+ range per side if you are building g long distance. If you were buying local you could go a bit lower. 

    We sold our last duplex about 6yrs a go as it didn’t perform like intended for our client. #’s always look better but that is not necessarily the best way a gauge an investment. 

    Good luck, just understand what you are getting into regardless which way you go so if things do not go like planned you will understand why. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Hello @Natalia Barriuso. Wow... that property you almost bought on hubzu.com, I'm glad you dodged that bullet! Thanks so much for the example, def an eye opener for me because things can look good on paper/advertisement until you do some digging. 

    I have been looking in the Indiana market since last year when self-educating myself. Then I started looking into other areas of Indiana, like Beech Grove and surrounding cities. I also like the prop tax there, way low compare to CA where I live. 

    If you don't mind me asking, is this the first property you're purchasing in Indiana? If so, are you currently paying the property management company who's helping you out, or they are just pretty much helping you out for now, building relationship, because when you find the property they can ensure they will have you as a client? 

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    @Casity Kao Thank you! All the information can at times be overwhelming. I feel like I'm all over the place right now. I know I just have to get started and learn as I go, but the fear of the unknown is very scary. I just feel like I can't afford to mess up.  

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Hi @Ryan Evans. Home warranty... I like that! It didn't even cross my mind, I guess because I never purchase one for the 2 primary homes I've purchased so far. But for investment properties, I think that's a good way to go. 

    So those 2 duplexes you purchased last year, do you still have them? And when you mentioned "super high risk," can you be more specific as to why you said that? I'm just trying to figure out what other risks are out there that I may not be aware of. And I will highly consider flying out to the city when I finally decided on the market to invest in. Any recommendations?

  • Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 122 votes
    8y

    @Rose TorioThe greatest loss is the time you already lost.  You can do it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.