Buying 1st home as a rental and not primary residence?

Buying 1st home as a rental and not primary residence?

Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am considering buying a condo as a rental property. It will be my first home. I actually wanted to buy a house as my first home but this condo is in the booming downtown section of Austin, TX and I feel that I should try and get in the area/market while I still can.

Here's what I'm not so sure might happen since:

1. I might go into this venture with another partner. This will be his second property. He already has a house in Austin. What does this mean for me as far as taxes are concerned - both of us buying this property as a rental but he already has a primary residence whereas I do not.

2. I understand that owning a rental property might diminish my buying power, potential for moving into my own home but what I have discussed with my roommate is me moving into this condo for a couple of months or however long it takes to find permanent tenants and then I'd move out. Is it possible that should the real estate market continue to grow in Austin, the way it is projected to, that I would have built up enough equity in my home after a year or so for my lender to allow me to take out another loan for the home I want to live in?

3. Basically, do you think I would be better off trying to buy a home/condo on my own, claiming it as my primary residence and renting out rooms to tenants as opposed to buying a property (especially my first one) as a rental property?

Thanks for whatever advice/thoughts you're able to share.

0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Moriches, NY · Member since 2008 · 635 posts · 9 votes
    20y

    well aside from being somewhat confused, i have a few questions.

    1. where will you live if you move out and rent this place out?

    there's a big difference between YOU having equity to buy another property and your business. if the business has some financials and good credit worthiness, then acquiring funds for another property may be doable.

    2. what type of funding does your company have?

    it is the company that is buying the property, not you

    3. are you personally guaranteeing the loan on the property? - if not, then it won't effect your ability to buy more than one property. it will be the first property for YOU.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.