Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Using 401K to fund REI

Mike B.
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted

Hello BP Members,

I'm new to REI and live in the San Antonio, TX area. Has anyone here on BP withdrawn 401K funds to begin a REI career? I am not talking a Self Directed IRA, as I want cash flow now. Also, can you describe the penalties, taxes, etc.

Thank you all.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

30% for taxes and 10% penalty. Ask me how I know.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Russell
  • Investor
  • New Bern, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Bern, NC
Replied

The 10% penalty does not apply if your 50 or older though

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

Thank you, Rick and Alan.

User Stats

Votes
Ian R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

My understanding is that you can withdraw any contributions you made to the account without any fees or penalties since you've already paid taxes on those as personal income. The penalties and fees kick in when you withdraw any earnings the fund has made based on your contributions. The trick is figuring out where that line is. You'd be best off speaking to your financial planner or whoever manages your fund.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Tyson Hosey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied

I just did a 401k loan, not withdraw. no penalties, 4.5% that gets paid back to the balance of my 401k (not the bank)

there are some other specifications to it, like I could only take 50% of my total balance as a loan, they take it right out of my paycheck as repayments, if I quit or get fired I have to pay back the balance of the loan.

read up on it, but it's a way to avoid the penalties

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

YOu could take out a loan against the 401k as mentioned above and get started doing some marketing to do some wholesale deals or partner with someone on some rehabs. That might be a great way to have the best of both worlds.

OR maybe you can only withdraw a part of the money so that you still have retirement money as well as some cash on hand.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied

@Mike B.

First, you most likely won't be able to touch that 401k if you are still working for the company that offered the plan. 

Second, distributions form a solo 401k are subject to income taxes and a 10% early distribution penalty if you are under age 59 1/2.  See following for rules on this.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/401k-resource-guide-plan-participants-general-distribution-rules

User Stats

Votes
Bill Pate
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Ridgeville, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Ridgeville, OH
Replied

I have done both a 401k loan and withdrawal. Personally I agree 100% with you that a 401k just locks up your money into limited investment options. In the last year I have withdrawn over 100K from a pension and 401k accounts, paid taxes, and penalty. This was done solely to invest in real estate. For me the pension was very questionable whether I would ever get it, so I took the money and run. I have purchased 4 rentals in the last year with the money and I know it was the right move. Was looking at possibly getting $900 a month when I was 62 or possibly getting nothing depending on if they changed the pension rules again for service time requirements. Well I make over $1200 a month off my rental investments from the money right now today, so this seemed like a no brainer to me. Now I only put enough money into 401k to get the maximum match. Before I was putting over 20% a year in there for two decades. Please keep in mind I already owned three rentals for over a decade before deciding to make this move. It wasn't done willy nilly it was a calculated risk. My accountant flipped when I told him what I did, but I have not a shred of doubt it will pay off in spades over the long run. If you do decide this path is for you don't get stuck on a certain type of deal become a value investor. In other words don't worry about only buying multi-family or only single family etc... I own two single family, three condos, and a duplex. The only investment that doesn't produce at least 15% ROI is one of my single family houses. That's only because I bought the house as my personal house then decided to make it a rental when I got married in 2007 because the market was terrible. I had that as a rental for 5 years and lost money every month before I figured out how to make that property actually turn a profit. Don't make very much on that one, but hey you have to start somewhere. Paid approximately 40% right off the top after taxes and penalties. I may have over paid and will get a refund when I file this year, but I didn't want to be under and get stuck with a huge tax bill. I would still do it again in a minute because where I live(Cleveland, OH) real estate prices are the cheapest in the country just about.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Greenberg
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied

@Ian R. Contributions to your IRA are pre tax dollars unless it is a Roth IRA. You will have to pay taxes, and if you are under 55 1/2 a penalty as well.