Clayton Richard Podcast #151 - 3/1's for $40k, how to?

Clayton Richard Podcast #151 - 3/1's for $40k, how to?

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes

I listened to Clayton's podcast this weekend, and got really motivated by his strategy.  I liked his strategy of targeting unit's he knew would rent for around $700 once updated, he looked for 3/1's and cost after repairs for him were about $40k.  

I've been looking at similar numbers, EXCEPT, I cannot find deals at that price point.  I guess the markets I am looking at just don't allow it.  I am looking in smaller towns (50-100k) in Illinois, but just not getting close to that number.  Does anyone have suggestions of markets where you can get this kind of availability?  Right now, I think my biggest problem is I am searching on-the-market properties, and it sounded like he was finding a lot of his deals off-the-market.  But before I go looking off-market I want to make sure I am looking in the right areas.

Second question I have is about his focus on 3/1's. Does anyone have support for this housing type being the best fit for the BRRR strategy? I've been pulling averages from craigslist and rentometer for the areas I am looking at, and it looks like renovated 3/1's or 3/1.5's provide the best opportunity for higher rents without much additional acquisition costs.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Peoria, IL · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 44 votes
10y

I'm doing this in Peoria now, but my max investment is 25k and I believe that one rents for $750, 3BR 1BA as you described. I purchased that one already rehabbed and with a tenant in place. 1 1/2 years later I still had the tenant and they recently moved in to one I picked up for 10k and put 3,500 in to. It is now a 6BR 2 BA they rent for $1,090 (however that is a VERY unusual situation, right place at the right time).

-Steve

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg MyrothPro Member
    Investor · East Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Kenneth,  Have you looked in the Peoria area?  I think you can find some properties in that price/rent range. 

    Greg

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2011 · 365 posts · 182 votes
    10y

    Not all strategies work in all areas.

    Not sure if you can find something like that in your area. When I describe the type of houses I buy and the numbers, most non-investors are surprised that type of property exists in my area.

    So maybe they are available in your area: ask local investors. A market you are familiat with/where you live is the best place to start.

    Reply with where you are from/looking and maybe someone has a keyword alert from your area and can chime in.

    I'm familiar with the Peoria market: most places downstate IL it's easy to get a 40k house that rents for $700.

    Check out some Ben Leybovich posts/articles on his thoughts against that strategy.

  • Investor · Peoria, IL · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    I'm doing this in Peoria now, but my max investment is 25k and I believe that one rents for $750, 3BR 1BA as you described. I purchased that one already rehabbed and with a tenant in place. 1 1/2 years later I still had the tenant and they recently moved in to one I picked up for 10k and put 3,500 in to. It is now a 6BR 2 BA they rent for $1,090 (however that is a VERY unusual situation, right place at the right time).

    -Steve

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Thank you for the responses @SteveSanchez @MichaelHerr and @GregMyroth.  I currently live and own my own residence in Chicago but am looking to invest in Central Illinois (Springfield, Bloomington, Peoria, & Normal) as that area is where I grew up and am most familiar.  I intend on relocating to central Illinois in the next few years and would like to be of driving distance to my rentals.

    I'm real enthused to hear some folks are finding these properties.  I'm going to look into Ben Leybovich stories.

    Steve - I'm going to reach out privately.  I don't want to step on your toes in your market, but I'm interested in learning more about how you found these properties (on/off market) and what types of neighborhoods and tenants you secured.

  • Real Estate Investor / Joint Venture Specialist. · Crown Point , IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    10y

    What areas of IL are you open to? We have had good success in Zion, IL deals for 40k that take around 10/15k worth of work and rent for 1,100+. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.