Buying 1, paying it off, buying another, paying it off ... am i alone?

Buying 1, paying it off, buying another, paying it off ... am i alone?

Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes

My methodology is very very conservative. A lot more conservative than many here. Most are using other peoples money, and taking equity out of houses to buy another, etc. I just really don't want to get to a point where i have 20 rental properties, all with lots of debt - if each flowed $200 a month, that would be $4,000 a month and thats great! But I couldn't imagine the headaches.

I own my own business, and am planning on paying off my house before I get the next. The next house I hope I will be able to get for $80k or so with 20k built in equity and pay it off like mad over the course of a year or 2. This way I could have $800 or so cash flow and live house payment free. Then keep doing it until my residuals are met. This should take about 5-6 properties and I would be done in maybe 10 years.

This is my exit strategy. If my own business dries up, I don't want to have massive amounts of debt to the point my back breaks. I also want to get to FI the quickest way possible. That means to me, living simply and shoveling as much green into real estate, one house at a time.

Is anyone tracking with me here? Who else is doing this? Who thinks this is smart? Who thinks this is ridiculous?

0Reply
71 views

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I think it's a good strategy, not the way I've done it, but good nonetheless. There's a lot to be said for having properties that are paid off!

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    18y

    This is an excellent strategy for being able to sleep well at night and not getting overextended, which can lead to losing everything.

    By investing so very conservatively you will probably never be affected by business cycles.

    This is how I invest at present.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    18y

    Quite honestly, Jason, this is a very uncomfortable market to be over-extended in.

    I would bet that those of us who are low on mortgage payments are sleeping better right now than those who have heavy mortgages to meet and tenants who are losing their jobs and can't pay rent.

    When you get ready to retire, it is quite nice to have rents coming in and no mortgage payments going out.

  • Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    I am very happy to know that I am not alone! My main issue with this is that it seems very, very, very inactive. As if I am not doing anything. I am buckling down though. At 28 years old, if all goes well (knock on wood!) I should be FI in the next decade. That is if I stay on track.

  • Real Estate Coach · Oakton, VA · Member since 2008 · 695 posts · 43 votes
    18y

    Jason,

    I'm going to go against the grain here. If you are 28 you can afford to take more risks. I would pick up 10 properties this year (buying them right at 65% or less). And then pay them down as quickly as you can from money you make wholesaling and doing lease options.

    The more risks (calculated risks) you take in life the more successful you will be. However, if you don't feel comfortable with risk, your plan will work fine, and just take longer.

  • Homeowner · Stafford, VA · Member since 2008 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Jason Schmidt,
    Are you buying each property under it's own LLC. That would at least separate and protect your assests.
    I personally do not wish to get attatched to any property and keep in mind that I will not own it for more than 2 years at the most.
    This of course depends on the market and if I the property creates a nice cash flow.

  • Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Hi Ben,
    I was not planning on doing an LLC for each. My main concern is that I don't want a large lump of money to ever just be "gone". So whether it is under its own LLC or not, it 'd still be my money at stake at that point.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    I like the idea of being debt free, I've been so since the early '90s. Although as another poster pointed out, at your age you could afford to go a bit more aggressive.

    I was always an opportunistic buyer and even though I was conservative financially and always tried to keep from getting overextended I did NOT let that keep from buying when a TRUE DEAL came along.

    The only time my ratios got really out of whack was when I fell into a deal to buy 3 at one time (within a month of buying another rehab) but I got the three at about FIFTY PERCENT OF FMV. My ratios were screwed up for a couple of months (and my sleep pattern) but within 45 days I had sold one and gotten all my money out of it and gotten back to where I was actively looking again.

    frank

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes
    18y

    Hi Jason,
    I share your strategy. If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have disagreed with you but in this market, in this economy and being self employed--I don't want the stress of millions in mortgages owed.
    We have paid off two properties free & clear and will have a 3rd one finished in 12 months (hopefully). We've got another BIG one that is just on a 30-year fixed with no end in sight unfortunately.
    It is very tempting to buy new properties but I am aliright going slowly. I just want to live a peaceful, comfortable life without an early heart attack.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waynesboro, MS · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Jason,

    In reading the other responses to your question it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. The main objective to investing is to have your money working for you, right.

    With that in mind, put down 100K earning 6% for 5 years (keep in mind that you had the $100K cash to invest).

    Then let's say you leverage that same $100K into $1 million in properies and you were getting the same 6% return, not to mention the tax benefits, appreciation, etc..... Now see what the difference in income after 5 years. It is amazing!

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 80 posts · 42 votes
    18y

    One other thing to keep in mind.....you may be able experience greater appreciation when the market turns around if you own 10 with mortgages rather than 3 homes outright.

  • Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    i agree with you all to an extent. The problem is that the appreciation is not liquid - ie i cannot live off of it. Appreciation around here tends to be slow ... rather up to about 3% from what I hear max generally. Here is what I see:

    if i get $1m in properties for my $100k, say, that is at about 10 properties then I have to deal with interest, multiple tenants, I need to be more "savvy" for investing sake and more "active". It also means that while 3% of 1m is $30k a year, it isn't something I can touch, so to speak. If I can buy outright 2 properties for just a bit more, then I don't have to be as involved, don't have to really be "on the look out" all the time for the best deals, and it would produce cash right now. The liability is severly limited because I don't have to worry about if 2 or 3 tenants skip out. if 3 skip out, that means that I would have to pay carrying costs of $3k a month or so.

    I must say, I do see the benefit of buying more at once, but it just seems like it will be taking more time out of my life to run my own business.

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    One thing to remember is that if you have budgeted properly for vacancy, the money used to money used to carry these properties when they do go vacant will come from the reserves you have created not from your pocket.

  • Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I'm a bit of a noob still, but here's my take.

    I also find myself doing the same thing, Jason. People have told me it's a terrible idea (not just bad...LOL), but those people aren't any better off than I, so I take their advice with a grain of salt.

    I've also been trying to pay off my first place (primary residence), and I think I was within 12 months...but I lost my job today. I haven't been giving all my money to the bank though; I've been saving it where I can access it, just in case something like job loss reared it's ugly head. So at the moment, my progress has been halted, but it could be worse! I could have the place 75% paid off with NO savings for this little rainy day.

    Also, the value of this place has since gone down to about the point that I have it paid to. So i could get out from under it and 'only' lose the equity - which for me is about 20k now. If you bought 10 places like you said in your example...man, that could be a bad situation, I would think. Magnified losses. Betting on appreciation in this market...well, I'm not holding my breath. I think it's gonna be a WHILE.

    I like the idea of having the place free and clear - a bit of stability when everything else seems to be falling apart. And if it was paid off and I was inclined to get a room mate, they would pretty much cover all my monthly expenses. To get into that situation before 30 would be fine with me. Job loss wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is right now, that's for sure.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes
    18y

    There is a major investor in our area that is liquidating a ton of his property. Rumor has it that he is too highly leveraged by borrowing the equity of properties he has had for 10-15 years. I don't know the details but I have seen some of the sale prices that have gone way under market value because he needs the cash fast. I do not want to be in this situation.
    Mike, the feeling is very reassuring to have at least one home free & clear. I say, keep doing what you've been doing by keeping the money in the bank until you can pay it off in one lump sum.
    Good luck in landing a new job FAST.

  • Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    i was actually just thinking about that - should i keep my money in the bank and pay off in one lump sum or pay as i go? As it turns out, if I pay as I go, I can save $2,500 in interest assuming it takes a year to pay off. Keep in mind that includes putting down a lump sum of $40k now and keeping 20k in reserve cash at all times.

  • Real Estate Investor · Georgetown, MA · Member since 2008 · 250 posts · 6 votes
    18y

    I'd pay as you go.

    Always keep a rainy day fund. But if you have money to pay it down I wouldn't build up a stock pile of money in the bank that earns 0.25% APY when you are being charged 6.5+% on your mortgage.

    Unless you can find a way to earn more then the % on your mortgage.

    So you have the write idea...pay it down as you go and save yourself the interest and get free and clear faster if that is your goal.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes
    18y

    We started paying as we went but then we decided it was better to save it up in a high-interest-baring savings account and for every $5000 we'd save, we put it into a 3-month CD. When we finally had enough we sent one wire to the bank and poof...free and clear.

    Once we made the decision to pay all the properties off ASAP it has been easy to save the money because we have a very tangible goal and it is taking much less time than expected. We look at expenditures as, "Should we spend $85 for a mediocre dinner out or put it towards the mortgage??" We almost always decide to go to happy hour for $10 and put $75 to the mortgage. Hey, you've got to live a little, too!

  • Homeowner · Member since 2008 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I like how you think shari and Jason. I'm one for paying down as much debt as possible before investing more. I'm working on the reno's for the house I live in with hopes of selling next spring. But the property values where I live have more than tripled since I bought this one too, so its a sure win for me.
    But then again I have been in over my head with the debt monster and it was absolutely no fun!

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Shari, I like your strategy as well. Which savings account are offering high interest? I use ING Direct, which offers about 3%.

    Aly

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes
    18y

    ING is good and then when you hit $5000, put it in a CD and keep going like that timing the CDs until you've accumulated enough to pay the loan off.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    There is a lot of great info in this thread. I for one favour a more balanced approach. Paying your property free and clear before you buy another is like not going out of the house on a sunny day because you might get struck bye lightning. At the same time you dont want to stand in the middle of the street holding an iron rod in a thunder storm.

    There is risk associated with everything we do. To me it is risk management that seperates a speculator from an investor.

    Neil

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Shari, what rates are you getting on the 3 month CDs? Do you generally keep a cushion of cash in the savings account just in case?

  • Member since 2008 · 155 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    just remember you need to be getting a significantly higher return on your investment money in cd's than what you are paying on interest. for example, i found that in order for investments to offset what i have to pay off, i need to look at something doing at least 9.5% to offset my 6.125% interest rate on my home. and i don't owe that much anymore!

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 81 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Why not buy ands sell for profit using OPM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.