Running a half marathon is lot like RE investing

Running a half marathon is lot like RE investing

Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes

Today I finished the race!  Mercedes Half Marathon in Bham..The conditions were not favorable.  It was rainy and cold at the start.  I wanted to pass!! BUT..

1.  3 months of training------prepared

2.  I was equipped..proper shoes, clothes, rain gear, music

3.  Various levels of runners, walkers, half marathoners, full marathoners, strollers, under 18, over 18, etc..

4.  I finished 13.1 in 3hrs 41 min...the winner of the full finished way under 2 hrs(Wow) I was on mile 10 when he flew by..

RE is quite the same..

1.  Training..newbies to 20+yrs..viewing properties, taking tenant calls, dealing with contractors, etc..

2.  Tools..wholesale, flipping, TK, rentals, etc

3.  Expertise..were all shaped different because we bring our experiences to the table..Lots of similarities in the business but different

4.  Finish..if you stick it out, you can finish, however there will be challenges..

BUT....I can look back and say I'm gonna finish!!! and FINISH STRONG!!!

Today there were 2 ladies I met all the way from DC who encouraged me!

I hope I can encourage someone along the way!!!

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
11y

Yeah I am 5 foot 9. I have more a power build then one of those tall and lanky types. They can do huge spans of distance with one stride even though they are not that fast with their kick. In martial arts however those types tend to not be able to take hits because they are so skinny. So every body type has it's advantages and disadvantages........ : ) 

The shorter person has to really get down the kick and mechanics more for stride efficiency. If you don't your hip flexors will wear out real fast. I ran a half years back in Atlanta on Thanksgiving morning.

My average mile was in the 8's. I finished right at 2 hours. I was usually in the 7's at the time but I didn't account for the course dynamics. I usually run flat with slight grades. This course had monster hills at the very end back to back to back. We ran through the streets of Atlanta and cardiac hill. I remember putting my head down and running past people walking because I didn't want to see how far away the top of this monster hill was. 

It's really all mental. You definitely need to train to get the body used to it. I used to could run 10 miles on a regular basis but the weather here has been rough lately so probably could only do 3 to 4 miles now that I haven't ran in months.   

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Yeah I am 5 foot 9. I have more a power build then one of those tall and lanky types. They can do huge spans of distance with one stride even though they are not that fast with their kick. In martial arts however those types tend to not be able to take hits because they are so skinny. So every body type has it's advantages and disadvantages........ : ) 

    The shorter person has to really get down the kick and mechanics more for stride efficiency. If you don't your hip flexors will wear out real fast. I ran a half years back in Atlanta on Thanksgiving morning.

    My average mile was in the 8's. I finished right at 2 hours. I was usually in the 7's at the time but I didn't account for the course dynamics. I usually run flat with slight grades. This course had monster hills at the very end back to back to back. We ran through the streets of Atlanta and cardiac hill. I remember putting my head down and running past people walking because I didn't want to see how far away the top of this monster hill was. 

    It's really all mental. You definitely need to train to get the body used to it. I used to could run 10 miles on a regular basis but the weather here has been rough lately so probably could only do 3 to 4 miles now that I haven't ran in months.   

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    11y

    @Joel Owens ..Definitely mental!  Preparation matters.  RE is the same.  Some can do without much effort, but there's a lot of behind the scenes..There are days, weeks, months where nothing much is happening and then, BOOM!!!.. Several tenant calls, no offers accepted, slow paying, etc.....When I started out these conditions freaked me out, because I expected everything to flow as planned.  Now I put on patience and ride the waves!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Chino Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Congratulations on the finish, @Rolanda Eldridge !

    You're right, there are lots in common between preparing for a race and real estate investing. I'll add in a few more:

    1) In both, you envision what your end goal is (e.g. finishing a half marathon injury free or closing a particular number of wholesale deals in a year) and then you map out a plan working backwards that will get you there. 
    2) There's a tremendous community available to lean on for their support and expertise in both the running world (e.g. local running clubs, training buddies, etc.) and in the real estate investing world (e.g. BP). 
    3) Crossing that finish line and reaching those real estate goals can be euphoric, because only you know the fortitude required to get to that point.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 381 posts · 134 votes
    11y

    Congratulations! I'm a runner as well!

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    Congratulations @Rolanda Eldridge one step at a time.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    11y

    Thanks all, it's very rewarding!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    11y

    @Rolanda Eldridge  congratz ;) so true

    Full marathon for me ;) definitely mental prep.

    ______

    Pick your race date. Prep prep prep, learn learn learn. Exercise caution, to prevent injury! And just do it!

    Forgot what everyone else is doing around you. Forget their pace or method.

    One step at a time finish strong.

    Just like REI.

    Find your target, due diligence, implement and go.

    Don't worry about other investors and their method, do what you are comfortable with and finish strong ;)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.