My first (current) house flip to free up $ for investing

My first (current) house flip to free up $ for investing

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes

Here’s how this adventure started… I am a home owner and planned on purchasing a multi family, renting out my single family house, and starting my passive career in real estate. The funds I planned on using as a down payment on my second property did not come through as planned, so I plan on flipping my current house. I am a CPA with a full time job and good credit.

Facts ($’s are approximations):

Home was built in 1959

Home has been owned 2+ years (tax free gain on sale)

Purchase price + landscaping + master bath: 180K

Appraised Value: 195k

ARV: 230 – 250K

Repairs:

  • Refinish hard wood floors
  • Paint
  • Kitchen: Cabinets (refurbish used?), take out tile/replace with hardwood, countertop, open wall to living room (Just a window, not a wall demo as its load bearing), and new (or used) oven
  • New interior doors
  • Bath: Tile, vanity, countertop, toilet, reglaze tub
  • Light fixtures, vents, plugs, switches
  • Staging
  • Potential updated electrical box (currently in good working condition)
  • NEW LARGE window in living room

Investment

180K current

20K rehab

20K & closing costs realtor fees

220K Cost

There appears to be a possible 20K gain on my primary residence, this would free up approx. 30 – 50K cash to be used to jumpstart my real estate investing career.

I have not gotten quotes on the repairs yet, this is what scares me.If repairs end up costing 40K, it could eliminate the entire gain and I would be better selling now to pull the cash out.Please provide any and all thoughts/advice you may have regarding starting my real estate career.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Jon

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    I've got a ton of ideas regarding all aspects of the above post.  Does anyone have any questions, comments, concerns, discussion topics?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    12y

    The deal is too thin. Here's my version of the 70% rule: Maximum purchase price = (ARV - Rehab Costs) x 70%. In your instance, maximum purchase price = ($240 - $20) x 70 % = $154K. Your investment is $180K, which is more than the maximum purchase price. There are also two questions:

    1. How did you calculate the ARV? Most people over estimate the ARV.

    2. How did you calculate the Rehab Costs? Most people under estimate the ARV.

    I develop investment models where I over estimate costs and under estimate revenues, so that if the model says it should work with these conservative assumptions, then I'm comfortable because this is really the worst case scenario.  Most people don't create and use models and go off their gut or the seat of their pants.  They may get lucky and not strike out, but it's not a system.  I recommend you develop a system that has models that you can easily put your deals through.  Don't try to hit homeruns, just hit singles and don't strike out.  Be consistent.

    God Bless You!

  • Real Estate Investor · Wakefield, MA · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    Surprised to see that the ARV is not close to the sale value you expect.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.