First investment/property using a VA home loan (duplex for sale)

First investment/property using a VA home loan (duplex for sale)

Larose, LA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I just started looking around the market to invest in my first real estate property. My goal is to find a multifamily home and use my VA home loan. To use a VA home loan for a multifamily home one of the units have to be your primary residence. I was told you generally have to occupy one of the units for about a year before you can move out to rent out the unit you were staying in. The VA home loan allows a zero down payment so I think this is a great way to start off right? Well I came across a very nice duplex in a great location. Its listed for $190k and I'm sure that price can drop some. From the quick math that I did I'm seeing that each unit is being rented for about $800 a month total of $1600. My mortgage would be near $1,200 a month basing it off $190k tax and insurance included. That leaves me with $400 cash flow , the electric, heating, cooling, water/sewer, trash collection, cable TV expenses are the tenants responsibility. I will also be taking care of all basic maintenances. Now being I will have to live in one of the units one unit wont cover all the expenses. So for the first year I would have to pay half to help cover everything. This means no cash flow until I can move out and rent out the other unit.

Is a property like this worth looking into more? Remember, I'm not having to put any money down but will have to put money into it each month. This can be looked at like that's a down payment over time but if I were to move out with in a year it would be a whole lot less than your normal 20% down. You can say I'm investing $9,600 a year into the property while living in it. When both units are being rented the property's net income is $16,550 so if I were to move out within a year my cash on cash return would be excellent.

These numbers or rough estimates but I more wanting opinion on the strategy. Any info/advice would be great. Like I said this will be my first real estate investment.

0Reply
22 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 5 votes
    12y
    Hello Jady, I like the route you're taking. It's exactly what I want to do; use VA loan, get a duplex and then move out. I hope an experienced investor can give you his or her point of view on this investment . Personally I think it sounds like an ok deal because you would only have to pay about 400 for your mortgage ( we are currently paying 930 for rent) not including expenses which you should account for. However I said it's an ok deal because you're paying almost 100k per unit and I think it's a little too pricey. Again that's just me and I'm a newbie too. Looking forward to more replies from more experienced investors.
  • Larose, LA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the quick reply Gabriela, I do agree that it is more on of the expensive side but it was built in the last few years and it's in a good location so I can see why they have it listed for that price. I haven't really got out and started looking very hard yet but I will be getting with a realtor soon that is familiar with VA clients to help look more around my area. Like you said, looking forward to more replies from more experienced investors.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    12y

    @Jady Guidry I used my VA on my second primary residence, and it is definitely one of the best ways to get into real estate. This deal is definitely better than the first one I got under my belt.

    The good: as @Gabriela Gomez metnioned, this automatically becomes a good deal when compared against renting handsdown.  Only having to pay 400/month leaves plenty of room to increase savings, invest in other areas, etc.  Also, given the price of the property, I'm assuming this is a Class A property in a Class A neighborhood?  Though I wouldn't count on appreciation in determining whether or not to buy, you probably have a pretty good chance of having it in the future.

    The bad: You actually will not have $400/month in cash flow after you account for vacancies (generally 7-12% of rents), mx reserve (generally 10% of rents), and capital expenditures (generally 5% to cover large items like roofs/foundation/sewer/etc.).  That alone brings you down to $0/cashflow. 

    Now, I personally don't think $0 cashflow is bad, especially given you will only put about $5k down on this property after all fees at closing.  You essentially get a (almost) free place to live until you move, and then have tenets pay down your principle, giving you a pretty good sized piggy bank over time.  However, most true investors wouldn't take this goal.

    It all comes down to your goals.  Again, I made a similar purchase awhile back, and I don't regret it.  Hope this helps!

  • Larose, LA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Frankie Woods I really appreciate your input. To me I fill like this property would be pushing my budget for a duplex for now. Like you said I would have zero cash flow. The $400 I said that was cash flow was my mistake. I more mint for that to be $400 before the other expenses (vacancy and capital expenditure). I'm not in a big rush to find a place so if it take a little time to find it then that's fine.

    Frankie, I seen that you have a few single family homes. What's your experience using the VA loan going that route to start off?

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    12y

    @Jady Guidry I've used it twice. You can have multiple VAs up to about $417k (which I do). It is a very easy process with the only caveat, as you mentioned, that you use the property as your primary residence for at least a year. I would highly recommend it. It's probably the best financing deal in real estate next to owner financing and the FHA loan.

    Zero cash flow isn't necessarily bad, but you probably can find better!  I would look for something that needs a little TLC, but nothing major.

  • Larose, LA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks again @Frankie Woods, This is will definitely be the route I use starting out. I will continue to look around and I will keep my status updated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.