Buying a rental unit that may not appreciate? Yes or No?

Buying a rental unit that may not appreciate? Yes or No?

Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes

I am looking to buy a rental unit in a 6 flat that was turned to condos.  I did a mock wright up on CL to see if it would get any calls, and I am getting quite a few for a good price.

The only issue I have with this property is that I do not believe it will appreciate over time.  But it will cash flow instantly around 200-300$.

Is this a good investment or should I look for something that will rent and appreciate?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bellerose, NY · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 34 votes
12y

@Ryan S. I think you would need to provide some more information to let people determine if it's a good deal or not. What is the purchase price? What is your out-of-pocket to get that $200 - $300 cash flow? Which is it, $200 or $300? All of these will help determine what your ROI is. How are you calculating that $200 - $300 (did you include all operating expenses such as insurance, interest, taxes, vacancy rates, maintenance, property management, etc)?

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    If you put $20,000 down it will take you over 5.5 years of cash flow at $300 a month just to get that back!

  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Are you saying that this property is a good investment? or not

  • Investor · Bellerose, NY · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Ryan S. I think you would need to provide some more information to let people determine if it's a good deal or not. What is the purchase price? What is your out-of-pocket to get that $200 - $300 cash flow? Which is it, $200 or $300? All of these will help determine what your ROI is. How are you calculating that $200 - $300 (did you include all operating expenses such as insurance, interest, taxes, vacancy rates, maintenance, property management, etc)?

  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Purchase price 40,000

    Cash flow of $230 per month all expenses included. Other than (vacancy rates) dont no how to calculate that in.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Waynesville, NC · Member since 2014 · 408 posts · 121 votes
    12y

    If you are excluding vacancy rate, you are most likely upside down on this. I say its a bad investment based on what we have been given.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ryan S.:

    I am looking to buy a rental unit in a 6 flat that was turned to condos.  I did a mock wright up on CL to see if it would get any calls, and I am getting quite a few for a good price.

    The only issue I have with this property is that I do not believe it will appreciate over time.  But it will cash flow instantly around 200-300$.

    Is this a good investment or should I look for something that will rent and appreciate?

    I always assume that there will be no appreciation. So we invest based on cash flow and our initial equity position. This deal sounds like it cash flows really well, so I wouldn't back away just because you don't think the area will appreciate.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    12y

    If it is 6 units for 40k that sounds like a decent price at under 10k a unit.

  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    no this if for one unit at 40k

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Will you be able to leverage this, or do you have to pay cash?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Ryan S. The details you provide are not sufficient.  First, I assume you mean 6 unit.  Are these studio apartments?  Second, I would generally say that cash flowing $50 per door way too low.  But third, you say this is $40K???  How in the world could you be getting so little cash flow from six units when you are only paying $40K?  Or do you mean this is your down payment?

    Just your lack of details tells me you haven't educated yourself enough to do this--probably.  No offense intended.  I'm concerned for you that that this is not just a newbie jitters, check my math, question.  It sounds like you do not know what you are getting into.  Especially with not even accounting for vacancy.

    It might be a great deal.  Maybe you are way under estimating cash flow.  But better miss a great deal than speculate on something that will snare you into a  financial mess.

    Here is what would help:

    How many units, of what type (studio, 1br, 2br, etc.)

    Purchase price

    How you are financing

    Condition (repairs / rehab needed)

    Expected or current rents

  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Larry Turowski

    I have flipped 2 homes so far in this area, but this would be my first rental property.  Im not sure how to figure in vacancy rate?  I have learned the rehab side but am looking for help when it comes to renting.

    Like I stated above this is a single unit at 40K.

    no need for rehab, move in ready. 

    this is a 2br 1bath

    I can pay cash or leverage  @jean bolger

    rents are expected $975

    Cashflow $230 per month

  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Larry Turowski @Jean Bolger 

    Sorry messed up the tags

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Ah, that helps a lot.  However, I still don't understand how you can determine cash flow without knowing how you are financing?  Obviously, your cash flow would be different if you held the house free and clear or if you are leveraged.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Yeah I was asking the leverage question for the same reason @Larry Turowski 

     mentioned it. If you've got 40k invested of your own money into the place then with $200/mo cashflow you're making 6% on your money. If you're financing 30k and making $200/mo then you're making 24%. That's a big difference.

    Whether  this could be a good buy  really depends on the type of building and what your expenses might be going ahead. Is there a condo association? The quality of the investment can depend strongly on the strength and stability of the association. That can get hairy when you have a very small number of units. 

  • Investor · Bellerose, NY · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Ryan S. It sounds like you're in need of some better tools to give you the answers you're looking for.  It also sounds like you're trying to move quickly.  I would recommend against that because this is your first deal.  From the little information that you're providing it seems like this particular property does not meed a basic 50/50 rule (from what I've been reading, your expenses NOT including any cost of money should be 50% or less than the rental income).  Right there that should make you sit back and reconsider.

    I found a useful tool online that was helpful for me in making basic decisions on whether to move forward on a property or not: http://www.rentalpropertyreporter.com/resource-cen....

    This tool will help you analyze your cash flow and your return on money, and it has different levels of detail that you can customize for your needs.

    In addition, it seems like you're going to be paying for this property all cash and not financing, which means as @Jean Bolger said you're only going to be making 6% on your money, which is horrible for a rental property in my opinion.  It looks better if you leverage instead (use the tool provided above to play with different financing scenarios).

    Personally I set a return on investment goal of over 30% for my first rental property (which I'm working on now), so that if there are any major gotchas or expenses I didn't figure because it's my first deal, I could absorb that and still make a profit.  And as a matter of fact, I DID make a miscalculation with regards to city sewer fees (they were monthly @ $45 per apartment for 2 apartments instead of quarterly, which is an additional $75 per month I didn't figure but it's ok because I picked a property that was going to give me 45% - 50% return on my investment after financing.

    BiggerPockets also has a deal analyzer that you can use (limited to 5 uses I think without paying for a membership) under the Analyze tab above.

    Also, I would not be concerned about appreciation on a rental if you're looking strictly at cash flow.  If you can find something that appreciates, that's an added bonus but should not be the deciding factor in a buy and hold decision (although it can be a contributing factor).

    I would like however to hear more about your flip deals that you successfully completed!  That sounds exciting!

  • Investor · Allen Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 98 posts · 36 votes
    12y
    How are you only netting $230 on $975 rent? Might be helpful to show your calculations. Unless you have some high overhead via taxes or insurance in this particular area id say this could make for a pretty good deal, but if have to believe the profit is better than what your estimating.... You would be getting 2.4% in monthly rent for the purchase price which is very good.
  • Rehabber · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Joshua Nudell it would be extremity helpful for me to see someones numbers for an example.  Would you mind sharing your numbers and calculations breakdown?  I would love to see how you make up-words of 40-45%.  

    Thanks for all your help everyone

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    12y

    @Ryan S. Show me yours, and I'll show you mine ;)

    The investment calculators under "analyze" and some of the spreadsheets under "resources -- file manager" should help.

  • Real Estate Agent · Port Huron, MI · Member since 2012 · 295 posts · 82 votes
    12y

    Go to the below link and plug as much in as possible. Figure a 10% vacancy rate in. If you don't know things like taxes and insurance you need to get those numbers.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/buy-and-hold-calculat...

    So far prior posts are right we don't have enough detail to help you analyze the deal. Without knowing your market specifically and just using your high overview numbers of 40k purchase price and a rental rate of 975 I would definitely look into this further. You have clearly beat the 2% and 50% rules. 

    Like some others have suggested I would highly recommend financing 80% of this deal if possible.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    12y

    To answer your original question of should I buy if it may or may not appreciate on a rental property.

    #1 source of income on a rental property for me would be cash flow

    #2 equity from amortization

    #3 appreciation 

    As long as you have cash flow that meets your goal of ROI or Cash on Cash then that should be good enough. #2 and #3 gains would just be a bonus..

    Hope this helps.. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    You could use the 50% rule (or 60% rule if you are paying for utilities) to determine if the investment cash flows. The 50% rule covers most expenses including vacancies; only mortgage principal and interest are not included in the 50%. Look it up on BP! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    @Ryan S. Personal opinion here, but I would have lost interest at the word "condo". HOAs are too unpredictable. Your profit margin can quickly get eaten up, plus some, just by little things associated with an HOA.

  • Investor · Bellerose, NY · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Ryan S.  I just posted the details about my first buy & hold deal on BP.  Take a look at the numbers and let me know what you think.

    -Joshua

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.