Any advice on how to follow-up/network with well-connected people?

Any advice on how to follow-up/network with well-connected people?

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 130 posts · 77 votes

This is to all the Bigger Pockets members out there who are pros at networking - do you have any tips on how to successfully follow up with well-connected people? These are not necessarily people who are real estate investors, but people who, because of their professional or personal connections, know a lot of people.

I recently met someone at a community economic development meeting who fits this description. He used to work for the city in a high-profile job doing city planning and economic development, and now heads a public policy consulting firm. He's very active in several civic and cultural groups serving on advisory boards, etc. He was a speaker at this community meeting about gentrification. After the speech, I approached him and thanked him for his speech. He gave me his business card and I gave him mine.

So, my question is, now what? How can I begin to build a professional rapport with this individual? If he were a real estate investor or someone who worked in my (day job) line of work, I'd know how to follow up and begin to build a rapport. But he's not.

He's clearly someone who would be really great to know because of his extensive knowledge and contacts, but I'm not sure how to break through. I know an effective way would be to offer to help him, in some way. But it's hard from my current vantage point to even figure out what a person like this would even appreciate or need help with.

I checked out his website to see if I could pick up anything there that might give me some idea. I came away even more impressed that this would be a cool person to know, but also slightly intimidated by the fact that I don't know how I can do this without coming across as pushy or weird.

Any suggestions on how to successfully network and follow up with well-connected people?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    Continue to network in the areas this person networks? Otherwise, I think you've got it. Be consistent.

  • Investor · Near San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 96 votes
    12y

    Call the guy and explain your goal to him just as eloquently as you just did here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.