Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Teddy Mao
Votes |
Just looking for the best way to (re)start out

Teddy Mao
Posted

I started working back in summer 2018 and was very interested in real estate investing. I bought my first property for self-living back in early 2019, a condo in Dallas TX. I was living by myself at that time, and was very much into house hacking, but the pandemic hit and disrupted my plans. In late 2021 my wife and I both found jobs in Chicago, bought our second property (also a condo) there, moved in and had our first kid there. We were super lucky to have hit relatively low rates (15-year 2%-3% range) that we would not see again today.

The Dallas property is now rented, giving a almost zero cash flow over a 15-year fixed mortgage, until the recent HOA increase pushed it into the negative side slightly. I have been a passive remote landlord throughout the time, thanks to my agent and nice tenants over there.

We have almost enough cash to pay off the remaining balances of the mortgages but obviously we want to use it in a different way. But my real estate investment knowledge is very limited to the basics that one always starts buying it as their primary residence. I was thinking of PRR but it seems challenging with a toddler. Getting a property solely for investing purpose (without living in it first) is completely new to me and seems costly at this time.

So I am here to ask for some ideas on how I can start out with this. Thanks!

Loading replies...