Approach to Cabin with VERY Outdated Furniture/Decor

Approach to Cabin with VERY Outdated Furniture/Decor

VA · Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello!  I really need some advice...I am considering a cabin that that is very dated and really heavy with the lodge decor.  Don't get me wrong, I love lodge decor however, there is such a thing as too much.  There are animals on the walls everywhere and it is very distracting.  If I purchase this cabin, I want to do a complete update which would require parting with most of the furniture, so I have a few questions:

1.How do new owners remove large and numerous items from a cabin if you are remote?  

2.  Are there consignment shops?  

3.  Is this something I should negotiate in the purchase price?  The cabin is listed as "professionally decorated" which clearly, they see as a selling point.  I don't want to hurt their feelings however, this will require a lot of logistics on my part to make this purchase happen.  

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance :)

0Reply
33 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen WanamartaBusiness Member
    Investor · Knoxville TN · Member since 2024 · 55 posts · 17 votes
    2y

    Junk removal OR buy nothing groups on FB. Depending on the amount of furniture you're trying to offload a consignment shop may be more hassle than it's worth. Is there something specific about this cabin where the furniture is going to determine the success of the STR?

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    The purchase doesn't make sense from you posted because it's being marketed as a done unit with lodge vibes. So, they think it's done and high-performing and you think it needs a complete makeover so you would be paying up to renovate. I wouldn't worry about their feelings, but you can tell from their listing your pricing is different. You are overthinking the stuff, but not the location. If you need to do a renovation and you have no contacts in the area, how is that going to go if you haven't done remote reno before? Not well.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    As long as you are prepared to spend $10-20 per square foot to furnish (depending on how high end you want to go), then a $500 dumpster rental and a Facebook marketplace listing solve your problem. It is tough, however, when sellers think that offering with furniture has value and you don't. 

    Just write the offer that makes sense to you and leave the furniture discussion out of it. There's a chance that you are crapping on their grandparents' hutch or the dining room table that was in their childhood home. There's a real attachment to furniture pieces. Be nice and then throw it in the trash after closing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.