Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gaurav Vedi
Votes |
How to create LLC/Scorp structure for Rental properties

Gaurav Vedi
Posted Aug 20 2024, 06:50

Hello all,

I have multiple rental properties but haven't created any LLC structure. Now that I have read multiple posts and received recommendations from others and read BiggerPockets threads, I am inclined to create Entity structure to avoid any property liabilities and get tax advantages using income shifting strategies for my 1099 revenue from small IT LLC

This is what I am thinking and need some inputs from others on this channel. Please feel free to provide inputs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parent Holding LLC (X)-----------------------> Revocable Trust

|

|

|

|                                            |                          |                               |

Operating LLC (Y) LLC1 (A) LLC2(B) LLC3 (C)

1) Each rental property will get one Wyoming LLC (single member LLC) e.g. LLC1, LLC2, LLC3. This comes with advantage of anonymity of owner and address.

2) Parent Holding LLC (X) will be a multi-member Wyoming LLC responsible for buying or selling LLCs (A, B or C etc) and is taxed as SCorp for tax advantage. All rental Property LLCs (A, B,C) and Operating LLC reports under X. This also comes with advantage of anonymity of owner and address.

3) Operating LLC (Y) will be a single member Wyoming LLC and works as a Property Management responsible for day to day operations such as collecting rents, making mortgage/insurance/HOA payments etc on each LLCs (A,B,C) behalf. Also responsible for other expenses such as lawn maintenance, repairs, replacement of appliances etc on behalf of rental LLCs (A, B,C).

4) Y will charge monthly operating fee of 10% from each LLCs (A, B and C).

5) LLCs (A, B, C) will NOT have separate bank accounts. Only X and Y will have bank accounts. Y will collect rents and pay for all expenses on behalf of all rental LLCs.

6) Any leftover gains from Y will flow into X which can be distributed to its members at the end of the year. Also any losses from Y will flow into Parent Holding X for tax purposes and such losses will be adjusted towards active income.

7) Use a revocable trust to replace us in the ownership chain to avoid probate issues and easy inheritance to our kids.

Questions:

1. 1) Is this a good structure OR should I keep Operations LLC (Y) separate from Parent Holding LLC (X) and not under it to avoid any legal complications ?
  2. 2) Also if keep Y separate from X, then should Y be a multi-member LLC and taxed as SCorp ?
  3. 3) If I were to create a rental agreement essentially leasing my Home office space to any or all of these LLCs, can each of these LLC's have a separate Rental agreement with same residence ? Any Tax implications or any tax advantage ?
  4. 4) What if I do the same for renting car to my own LLCs via a fomal lease agreement ? Any tax advantages ?

Thanks in Advance. Ready to get inputs from experts here !!

Regards

Loading replies...