Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Sehon
Pro Member
Votes |
Private lender vs bank for fha first property

Thomas Sehon
Pro Member
Posted

Hello all,

We are looking to apply for our first loan and they’re wondering if it is best to go with a private lender or a bigger bank. And would love to understand anyone’s perspective on the differences or what they tend to prefer or look for.

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied

I see in the title that you're asking about FHA. When you say private lender, are you referring to a private individual, or do you mean a nonbank lender, such as a lender that is not a Chase bank or a Wells Fargo?

In general, big banks dont invest a lot in their mortgage arms because they arent all that profitable. As a result, big bank underwriting and lending experiences tend to be horrific. It's not uncommon to hear horror stories about getting into underwriting and losing your deal a week before closing because of incompetence or error. When the market was a little hotter in the recent past, a lot of listing agents in my area would shun or downplay offers that came with financing from credit unions or "too big to fail" banks. 

Correspondent lenders and brokers only do mortgages - that's their entire focus. You will find much better competence and quality. In many cases, you may also find better rates and pricing than big banks. 

One last thing - why FHA?

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Sehon
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

We only have the liquid funds to put 3.5% down for the area we are looking which is why we are thinking FHA.

We are considering sun west mortgage but open to other suggestions.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Thomas Sehon:

Hello all,

We are looking to apply for our first loan and they’re wondering if it is best to go with a private lender or a bigger bank. And would love to understand anyone’s perspective on the differences or what they tend to prefer or look for.

Thank you in advance!

The term you want to look up is non-bank lenders (not private lenders). Whether you go to a non bank lender or a bank or a credit union depends. This is an instance where possibly using a mortgage broker to shop rates for you would come in handy. 

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Sehon
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Thank you Chris! Definitely a novice with all of this.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied

We only have the liquid funds to put 3.5% down for the area we are looking which is why we are thinking FHA.

3% down with Conventional is possible in some scenarios. There are also two solid downpayment assistance programs - one for Columbia specifically and one for anywhere in SC. I recommend exploring all your options as FHA has a nasty upfront fee and permanent mortgage insurance. I'm happy to take a look at this for you - just DM me.

User Stats

Votes
Melvin List
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I would alway throw in a broker when you are shopping. Your might be surprised if you find the right broker the difference in rates and pricing depending on your situation.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Sehon
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
What can you tell me about the one for all of SC? We are looking at Beaufort. Will this only work for a conventional loan?

3% down with Conventional is possible in some scenarios. There are also two solid downpayment assistance programs - one for Columbia specifically and one for anywhere in SC. I recommend exploring all your options as FHA has a nasty upfront fee and permanent mortgage insurance. I'm happy to take a look at this for you - just DM me.