Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew A.
Votes |
Be brutally honest about my strategy!!!! New to real estate!!!

Andrew A.
Posted Aug 7 2024, 13:54

I’m looking for some advice and feedback on my real estate investment strategy. Here’s the plan I’ve come up with, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on its feasibility, potential risks, and any improvements you might suggest.

The Plan

1. Pay Off Mortgage: I currently have $170K left on my mortgage, and my goal is to aggressively pay it off in the next 1.5 years.

2. Establish Emergency Fund: Before making any big moves, I’ll set aside 6-12 months’ worth of expenses as an emergency fund.

3. Extract Equity: Once the mortgage is paid off, I’ll pull out the equity from the property.

4. First Flip: Using the extracted equity, I’ll purchase another house, fix it up, and sell it for a profit.

5. Reinvest Flip Profits: Instead of buying another property immediately, I’ll use the profits from the flip to renovate the original property, aiming to increase its rental income and appraisal value.

6. Reappraise and Extract Equity Again: After renovating, I’ll get the original property reappraised and extract additional equity based on its increased value.

7. Purchase Rental Properties: With the additional equity, I’ll start purchasing rental properties that offer positive cash flow and have growth potential.

8. Leverage Equity Strategically: I'll use equity from the original property and any new properties while maintaining a healthy loan-to-value ratio (LTV), ideally around 70-75%.

9. Build Rental Portfolio: I’ll focus on acquiring a mix of property types (e.g., single-family homes, multi-family units) to diversify my investments.

10. Focus on Cash Flow: I’ll prioritize properties that generate consistent positive cash flow, ensuring that rental income covers all expenses, including mortgage payments, maintenance, and management fees.

11. Long-Term Hold: I’ll hold properties long-term to benefit from appreciation and tax advantages. I plan to regularly re-evaluate and refinance properties to pull out equity for further investments without over-leveraging.

12. Professional Management: I’ll consider hiring a property management company to handle day-to-day operations, freeing up my time for further investments and strategic planning.

Additional Consideration

I've considered using the BRRRR method instead of paying off the mortgage first. The BRRRR method could potentially allow for quicker expansion by leveraging equity to buy more properties. However, I feel that paying off the mortgage is a safer route for me. Here's why:

1. **Limited Ownership**: I don’t own a lot of properties yet, so paying off the mortgage on my current property provides a solid foundation.
2. **Realistic Timeline**: I can realistically pay off the house in a year, which gives me a debt-free asset to leverage later.
3. **Financial Security**: Being young and living in NJ, I want to build a strong financial foundation first to ensure stability before taking on more leveraged investments.

This approach might be slower than the BRRRR method, but it provides peace of mind and a secure starting point for future investments.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• Initial capital boost from flipping the first house.

• Increased property value and rental income from renovating the original property.

• Consistent cash flow from rental properties.

• Long-term appreciation and tax benefits from holding properties.

• Diversification across different property types and markets reduces risk.

• Maintaining a healthy LTV and having an emergency fund reduces financial vulnerability.

Cons:

• Market risk: Property values and rental income are subject to market conditions.

• Management complexity: Owning multiple rental properties can be complex and time-consuming.

• Financing challenges: Extracting equity and taking on new mortgages require careful financial management to avoid over-leveraging.

My Questions

1. Do you think this plan is realistic and achievable?

2. Are there any potential risks or pitfalls I might be overlooking?

3. Any suggestions on how I could improve this strategy?

4. What are some best practices for managing multiple rental properties?

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice!

Loading replies...