Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$69.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Guerra
  • New to Real Estate
  • Trenton, NJ
Votes |
should i start with a SFH or MFH in central jersey?

Ashley Guerra
  • New to Real Estate
  • Trenton, NJ
Posted

After analyzing the local Mercer County market I've noticed there are not that many MFH that are desirable meaning cash flow can occur, but appreciation, schools and good tenants will be at risk. Granted MFH are more common in rougher parts of central jersey and my purchasing power can't acquire me something in North Jersey here homes are much more desirable when it comes to appreciation and schools and safety. In addition, I live with my parents so even househacking will still cost me over $400 a month, which is what I pay to stay with my parents.

My question is should I stick to a SFH in my local market in a good area or South Jersey? My purchasing power can afford me a house down there and I also work in South Jersey (Cherry Hill) and live in central jersey. What's at risk is it may not cash flow and renting is not so common in South Jersey, but I would feel more comfortable investing in a good area where schools are decent to good, and tenants are likely to care more. I would then plan to use this forced equity (since I plan to buy a fixer upper) to invest in another home.

I have been constantly reading to househack right into the MFH, but this may take some time for me to acquire the money and purchasing power. Are there better ways to funding this? The current leverage my family has is their home equity, but I honestly plan to invest within the next year due to capital shortage. I have ALSO heard its not about timing the market rather time IN the market, so this is where a SFH could potentially be "easier" to find.

Im constantly in a headspace where I tell myself I have to get really creative to finance a MFH or come in with a 5% conventional loan and fixing a MFH to force appreciation although cash flow may not be there the first year or two.

Similar with a SFH: I can at least get in the market with a 5% conventional loan not expecting cash flow but hoping appreciation will help me out in the next 2+ years and I will at least be able to put up the remainder of the expenses since I do live with my parents.

I am young so I could be overthinking, but my end goal is to have a portfolio where I can cash flow enough within the next 5-15 years to let go of my job (5k clean a month). Im 23 and will continue to work until 30-35, and by then I would be able to either continue working BY CHOICE rather by necessity.

Loading replies...