Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Charles Blades
Pro Member
Votes |
New investor looking at mobile homes for cash flow

Charles Blades
Pro Member
Posted

I am a new investor in the Tampa Bay area and I am looking at single family mobile homes as rentals. What are your thoughts (considering lot rent, the market, TB market, etc.)?

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Stern
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

@Charles Blades hey Charles, depends if you own the land or not. It can be an easy way to get into investing and solid cash flow and you can accumulate them quickly. Downside is bad tenants, depreciating trailer if you don’t own the land, and restrictions if the park if the owned by someone else. I’ve owned a few, it still can be a good investment for cash flow, feel free to dm me I get them off market time to time.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Blades
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Thank you for the response!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hey Charles,

In my opinion, not owning the land is just like buying a car. Each year, the value depreciates, but you still need to pay for the land rent increase. You might be able to make money, but you have to factor in how fast that trailer will depreciate in value over the long term.

I would go for a post-1976 manufactured home where you own the land and can get financing in place since it's insurable. Pre-1976 mobile homes are rarely financeable because they cannot be insured.

I saw that you are also based out of Tampa. My partners and I have been running a real estate meetup for the past two years, and you are more than welcome to attend. If you wish, send me your contact info (number and email), and I can add you to the list of attendees so you get notified when the next one is coming.

Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied

Hey Charles,

Welcome to BP and congratulations on starting your investment journey! I highly recommend joining local investment groups (Facebook is great for that) and attending local meetups, such as the ones hosted by @David Ramirez

I'd be happy to connect with you as well!

User Stats

Votes
Shelli Schilke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Replied
Hi Charles,

Good question as I was wondering about that myself. I just did a search on BP and saw your post.

I'm a wholesaler in Tampa Bay and I recently pivoted to wholesaling mobile homes to investor landlords. I'd love to chat with you to see if we can help each other out. If interested, please DM me and we'll go from there.

Also, thanks everyone who chimed in with your insights!

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hi Charles,

I've been investing in Tampa for 20 years, and to be honest, I’ve stayed away from mobile homes for the obvious reasons—like depreciation and lot rent—but if you decide to go that route, make sure to aim for at least double-wide units for better financing options. Investing in mobile homes can be a solid option for cash flow, but it's crucial to consider whether you own the land or just the home—lot rent can add up and impact returns if you don’t own the land, and older homes depreciate quickly. Focus on post-1976 manufactured homes since they’re easier to finance and insure. Also, make sure to research specific mobile home parks, as some have stricter rules or higher rents, which could affect your investment. It’s a good idea to see how other investors are doing in this market and think about long-term maintenance costs to ensure your cash flow remains strong. If you’re set on mobile homes, doing your homework on the parks and properties is key. Feel free to reach out if you want to connect with local investors or explore off-market deals.

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Charles Blades If you go into mobile homes, I'd be careful and make sure you put the right type of insurance on the homes. Since you're in FL, mobiles are prone to severe weather conditions which has happened time and time again in the past. 

Best of luck with things! 

User Stats

Votes
Sherman Arnowitz
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied

Manufactured homes is a great industry. We've done lots of work in FL, and it's very lucrative. Even with lot rent, the affordability of lot rent plus the home rental makes mobile home rentals a hot commodity. Tampa lot rent can be high, but again, just look at the average SFH rental for the area to make sure the numbers work.