Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Henrik Arnroed
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Would you live in the market before you buy?

Henrik Arnroed
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Jul 21 2024, 14:29

Hey all.

I have my eyes set on Atlanta (and eventually a few other areas in GA) to invest in. This will be my first property and I plan on house-hacking (hopefully a multifamily) and applying the MTR strategy. I am currently based in Boston but can move to Atlanta and keep my job from October onwards. The other option, however, is that I can live more or less for free for the rest of the year between a few family members and friends and save that bit of extra cash towards the purchase.

The extra cash could either help me jump on a deal sooner or it could be a buffer/money for potential renovation when I move in. However, the time I could spend in Atlanta before buying might help me avoid headaches by getting to know the market even better than my research.

I currently do not have an investor-friendly agent there, but I do have a real-estate contact here in Boston who lived there for 20 years.

I am interested to hear your thoughts and what you'd do, if you were in my shoes.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 21 2024, 14:54

It is a lot to ask of friends and family to couch surf for several months-a week or two, perhaps.  Not to mention if you are working, moving between places isn't ideal.

Do any of the family or friends live in Atlanta?  If so, talk to them about areas to avoid or areas to target.  Talk to your friend in Boston who lived in Atlanta (assuming they lived there relatively recently as cities change). As they are a realtor, ask them for recommendations of a good realtor down there.

Go for a trip there to look at places and get a feel for the neighbourhoods you think would work. Don't just go during the day, but visit the areas in the evenings.  In some areas, winter is a good time to buy as there are fewer sales, so you can get a better deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Bob P.#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Jul 21 2024, 14:55
Quote from @Henrik Arnroed:

Hey all.

I have my eyes set on Atlanta (and eventually a few other areas in GA) to invest in. This will be my first property and I plan on house-hacking (hopefully a multifamily) and applying the MTR strategy. I am currently based in Boston but can move to Atlanta and keep my job from October onwards. The other option, however, is that I can live more or less for free for the rest of the year between a few family members and friends and save that bit of extra cash towards the purchase.

The extra cash could either help me jump on a deal sooner or it could be a buffer/money for potential renovation when I move in. However, the time I could spend in Atlanta before buying might help me avoid headaches by getting to know the market even better than my research.

I currently do not have an investor-friendly agent there, but I do have a real-estate contact here in Boston who lived there for 20 years.

I am interested to hear your thoughts and what you'd do, if you were in my shoes.

I wouldn't necessarily move to an area before I'd invest there, but I would spend a week getting to know the neighborhoods first hand. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes