Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cory Waldron
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
New Investor Seeking Advice to Start My Real Estate Journey

Cory Waldron
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Posted

Hi BiggerPockets Community,

My name is I am finishing my MBA program next May, but I have become extremely invested in learning everything i can on Real Estate. I have read a few introductory books on real estate investment, and I am now looking to take steps towards purchasing my first property as I love to greatly research anything I want to start doing. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get started, particularly:

1. Should my next step be finding a local mentor and how I could best do this?
  2. Many books talk about selecting a great team around you, but do I really need one to start out and how would I create a team if I've never invested before?

Thank you all in advance for your help and support. I look forward to any advice or connections that can help me kickstart my real estate investing journey!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Cory Waldron

start with a house hack.  there is no better beginning strategy.

no, you don't need a mentor, and you don't really "find" a mentor.  Just go to meetups and network.  make friends.

do you need a team?  yes.  do you need a whole team to get started?  no.  to get started with a house hack, you need a lender and an agent.  

• Nicholas L.
  • User Stats

Votes
    Cory Waldron
    • Fort Wayne, IN
    Votes |
    • Fort Wayne, IN
    Replied

Thank you for the advice, i will look into this

CV3 Financial logo
    CV3 Financial
    |
    Sponsored
    Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
    Wale Lawal
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
    Replied

@Cory Waldron

Starting real estate investing requires finding a mentor, networking with professionals, building a team, and educating yourself through books, podcasts, and online courses. Conduct market research, get pre-approved for a mortgage, define property criteria, and use analysis tools. Take calculated risks, learn from experiences, and build a strong support network for success in the journey.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
    Nathan Gesner
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Cody, WY
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Cody, WY
    ModeratorReplied
    Quote from @Cory Waldron:

You don't need a mentor, a coach, an investment training program, an LLC, or any of that nonsense people try to sell on YouTube videos. Think back to any time in history prior to 2010. People saved money, bought a house in a neighborhood they liked, rented it, and held onto it forever. That's all it takes and you'll learn along the way.

There are plenty of books and free information on this website to help you along the way. Listen to the podcasts, read the books and blogs, ask questions to fill in the gaps. Buy property. Learn how to manage it well. Hold forever, or at least until you are smart enough to know when to sell.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo